Overcoming Obstacles

Truthfully, crossing the ropes wasn't that hard physically, but the issues came when someone would try to get past him. There was more than a handful of times when someone else's hurried carelessness almost caused him to fall. But he managed, and soon found himself back on solid ground.

He ran for maybe half a kilometer before coming to the next obstacle. Unlike the previous obstacle, he was almost happy to see this one. The best description would be an army style obstacle course combined with a jungle gym. It was almost too easy to hop, swing, and climb through the various attachments that were supposed to slow him down. He took a quick second to perch on a net before hopping down and swinging like a monkey from a support beam.

"Woah! Izuku is clearing the "Block-stacle" course with record time. He's gaining on the lead, but still has a way to go!" Present Mic shouted through the stadium.

Having passed the second obstacle, he ran as fast as he dared to conserve energy around a corner. There was a large sign that indicated a minefield, and plenty of the dark spots had been set off by the earlier competitors.

Up ahead, about halfway through the field, Todoroki and Bakugo were fighting. They were too busy battling and avoiding the mines to make any progress towards the finish line. At first Izuku took it slow, and picked up a mine that had been unearthed. Then, he ran near full speed towards the other two, careful not to set off any of the explosives beneath his feet. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, and his lungs were finally starting to burn from the work he'd been doing.

By the time Todoroki noticed Midoriya's rapid approach it was too late for either of them to try and stop him, so they quickly stopped fighting in exchange for attempting to take back first place. Ice and explosions came from left and right without a pattern, but Izuku dodged what he could and picked up the pace.

"Woah, it's a three-way battle for first place. And look at them go! What're you teaching them Aizawa?"

"What you're seeing isn't anything I taught them. It's their own will and determination," Aizawa tiredly replied into the microphone.

The three were back in the halls, and the light at the end of the tunnel was getting closer. The three sets of footsteps were impossible to tell apart as they ran with every ounce of speed they could muster. 

With only one mine, Izuku chose Bakugo to be the best target and positioned himself in a way that would hopefully work out. Without hesitating he swung the mine still in his hand at the blonde and managed to activate it. The mine blew up with a large pink cloud, and the power both sent Izuku flying backwards into the stadium and pushed Bakugo backwards.

"And the winner of the first event is Midoriya! And what a stylish victory at that!" Present Mic shouted. Roars of applause yet again erupted from the audience, and Izuku had to admit he felt pretty good about himself. Then he saw a large fountain of tears and remembered his mother was in the crowd.

Izuku got up and dusted himself off in time to see Todoroki, then Bakugo run into the stadium.

If looks could kill, Bakugo's face would run a cat through at least four or five of their nine lives in one go. He used the break to take a much needed breather as more and more students came through the gates. 

More than one classmate came by to congratulate him, and he returned the favor just as many times. If he was honest, he was loving the festival so far.

"The first event is over, and I know we're all hoping for just as much excitement in the next few events," Midnight announced.

Behind her, a scoreboard appeared and listed the first forty-two students. Each had an assigned point value, ranging from a single point to a full ten million in his case.