Going through changes

By the time Yoongi has awoken, the sun was already halfway up the sky blanketing the world in soft bright warmth. In his drowsy state, he felt confused and slightly disoriented at the late-morning reveille, having gotten used to waking up with the sun. It took him a minute or so to remember what happened the previous night and his confusion disappeared about his unusual late sleep-in.

Groaning softly, Yoongi shifted onto his back, not quite ready to get up just yet, needing a few more minutes to clear away the sleep from his head and think through their late-night conversation from yesterday. Even by just fleetingly thinking about his confession and everything that followed it, had left Yoongi swimming with various warm, thrilled and nervous feelings. It was that dangerous combination that made Yoongi want to do all sort of lovely-dovely, embarrassing shit.

I turned into a lovesick teenager, the levelheaded part of Yoongi’s brain grumbled.

Then when he flexed his hands he realized he wasn’t holding Jimin’s anymore and shortly after became attentive of the soft trickling sound of water. With another silent groan, he fought to open his eyes against the brightness and pushed himself into a sitting position.

“Good morning,” Jimin’s pleasant but high voice greeted him before he could even look at the merman. And when he did get a look at him, Yoongi was floored. The sailor thought nothing could further top Jimin’s beauty after him revealing his bioluminescent scales yesterday but very evidently he was wrong.

Jimin was in the water, but his narrow shoulders were visible to the eye. He was smiling at Yoongi, not one of those big, wide overzealous smiles but one that had a shy, uncertain undertone to it. It was paired with a healthy dose of blush and a nervous twinkle in his golden-blue eyes that kept flickering between Yoongi and a random rock on the ground. What really made Yoongi gape, however, was the golden chain that hung loosely from Jimin’s neck and the dangling earring in his left ear.

God-fucking-damn it, candyfins, Yoongi faltered upon feeling his heart picking up the rhythm already, despite not even being awake for five minutes.

“G’morning,” he grunted, but never taking his eyes off the jewelry Jimin was sporting. He hadn’t seen the merman wear anything before be it clothes or accessories and this was very unexpected - good, but unexpected. Gold jewelry always reminded Yoongi, in its all strangeness, to those well off, double-chinned aristocrats who have a disgusted look in their eyes whenever they catch a glimpse of a lowly man like Yoongi himself. But strangely, now, all Yoongi could think about was how good that golden necklace looked in contrast with Jimin’s lovely sun-kissed skin tone.

“You’s sleep well?” Jimin gently swam closer, his little webbed fingers breaking the surface only to cling to the rocks at the edge. There was a nervous anticipation in the merman’s aura and Yoongi was rocking his sleepy brain for a clue for this change in behavior.

“Yeah,” Yoongi nodded, eyes still trailing the jewelry against the merman’s wet skin. It was mesmerizing. It made Jimin look like royalty, like some sort of prince of the seas.  

Jimin flashed a small, beautiful smile before he pushed himself out of the water and sat next to the human. Yoongi’s breath got caught in his throat momentarily, as he realized that it wasn’t just a simple necklace but a body chain that hugged Jimin’s narrow waist and torso elegantly. He really twinkled like a gem, not just due to his multicolor scales but also the golden chain that he was wearing.