Chapter 54

Word count: 1005

Harper's POV

I looked to the roof of the room and thought about everything that had happened. I made a mental list. 1. Loki and I went to Asgard and I nearly died. 2. Loki and I said 'I love you' for the first and last time. 3. Loki died. 4. I got a note and a ring confirming Loki was dead. Those four things were why I was back at my home. 

I was safe here before so I will be again. I'm sure the Avengers don't mind me not being there. They probably haven't even noticed that I'm not there. I felt a hot tear roll down the side of my face. I hugged Sol to my body and I pulled my left hand above me. The snake ring glinted and glistened as the light hit it. 

"Hey Harper," Someone said and I jolted upright. Jack, from many years ago, stood at the door and looked at me. "I haven't seen you in a while," he said and came over to me. "It's nice to see you again." He added and sat next to me. He slowly put his arm around me and I tensed at the feeling. 

Jacks brown hair was now longer than it used to be and he had grown taller which is to be expected in life. He used to be this rude, obnoxious and loud kid who never followed the rules and always picked on the little kids but now: He was different. 

He was being kind, caring and thoughtful to me right now. He no longer had a rude smirk on his face or plan forming in his head. He smiled nicely and I could tell he was thinking about something but I couldn't figure out what it was. 

"Get off of me," I said and stood up. I walked away from him and to the window. Jack didn't take the hint at all. He came over to me and got too close for comfort. "Get off," I growled and pushed him off of me. I was not in the mood to be talking to anyone, let alone them getting too close to me. 

"Harper, don't be so rude." He said and glared at me. I glared right back and summoned I tiny ball of fire in my hand. He looked at it shocked and started to back away. "What did they do to you?" He asked as he fell backwards onto the bed. "You're a freak!" He yelled and clambered off of the bed. He then ran down the bedroom hall yelling and screaming about how I was now a freak.

Natasha's POV

We climbed out of the car and ran to the door of the building. I knocked as hard as I could and we all waited impatiently. The door was opened and Terry was standing there. He had a knowing smile on his face and let us all inside. He took us to his office but it was rather hard to fit us all inside. Clint and I were in his office with Jasper on my lap while Thor, Bruce, Steve and Tony waited outside. "Is Harper here?" I asked Terry and he nodded. 

"She's in her old room. If it's no issue may I ask, what happened?" Terry asked and he looked genuinely concerned for Harper.

"Well, Lots of things happened but her best friend died recently and we think it was just too much for her," Clint said as I struggled with my words. Clint put his hand on my back in a reassuring way. "May we see Harper?" Clint asked and we gave Terry begging eyes. 

"Well, I'll go ask her but if she says no I can't allow you to go up." He said and we nodded. He got up and walked out of the room. "Jasper, would you like to come?" He asked. Jasper hopped off my lap and ran to hold Terry's hand. "We will talk to her," Terry said before leaving his office to talk to Harper. 

Harper's POV

I heard footsteps and I was so ready to throw a fireball at whoever it was. I wanted to be left alone and clearly, nobody understood that. I had a fireball ready but when I heard the voice of my adoptive brother I got rid of it. "Harp? Harp, are you okay?" Asked Jasper as he came into the room. He jumped onto the bed and sat on my lap. 

"I'm fine," I said and I tried to make it sound true but I couldn't. I wasn't fine. Terry soon followed after Jasper and I smiled weakly. If Jasper was here then so were the others. 

"You don't seem fine," Terry said and sat next to me, putting his arm around me. He didn't need to say anything else about the matter, I knew he knew.

I rested my head on his shoulder and let a few tears fall down my face. Terry gave me a light squeeze before unwrapping his arm. "Do you want to see your family?" He asked and I looked into his eyes.

"Yeah," I replied and smiled weakly. Terry handed me a hankerchief to wipe my eyes. He left the room and I held onto Jasper once again. "Sorry for being gone so long." I said to Jasper I felt him move around to look at me.

"Your home now," he said and we both smiled. "I missed you," he said and gave me a hug. I hugged him back and waited for my parents to come into the room.

I knew they'd have lots of questions for me so I prepared myself for it. I knew what I had to say and but I didn't think I'd be able to. I just missed Loki so much that whenever I thought about him I wanted to cry, and I did cry.

I heard quick footsteps and I knew they were coming. I took a deep breath and braced myself for them.

Published: 22nd May 2021