Chapter 5: You're Kidding Me Right?

Tyler's Pov

"Dude, look at them!" I said. Lucas looked up and at the rink. He smiled and went back to looking at his phone. He barely ever talked even though we tried to force him to. He slid his phone over to me and I read what's on the screen.

Jealous.

"Ha!" I said "Yeah right."

Together Sam and Taft were holding hands and skating. I couldn't believe my eyes. She couldn't possibly be interested in him...

Angrily, I take a bite from my pizza and stare out at them on the rink. I completely forgot about the chance that they might look up too and sure enough Sam did. Taft had whispered something in her ear, laughed about it and glanced at me. I quickly look away and pretended I had a sudden interest in my half-eaten pizza. I bet they thought I was an idiot. Everyone once in a while I glanced up hoping that this awful image would go away but it didn't. Sam looked the happiness I've seen her since we met. I had to do something about this. I shifted my legs a little, ready to get up and go over there when-

"Hey Tyler." I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked and blinked hoping that the sight in front of me would go away. If I don’t hear it it’s not true. If I don’t see it then it’s not true. Please don’t let it be true.

 "How are you?" It nearly screamed. I gave a fake grin but no response. Please. Not her again.

"It's me. Jennifer Mosks." She pulls up a chair by me and puts a hand to my chin. "Wow. You've changed so much in a couple months." She lets out a girly shriek and examines my face. From the side of my eye, I could see Lucas laughing his head off. His face turning as red as a cherry. If it wasn't me I would have been cracking up too but of course I couldn't. I had broken up with her last spring but for some reason she never understood that we were over. That or she didn't like the thought of rejection. A week after our breakup she came crawling back like we were never apart. And since then I've been trying to shake her away but she just kept coming back. Even after she moved out of town at the end of the school year. Her way of finding me was frightening. What I ever saw in her I will never know.

"Jen..."I slowly take her hand from my face and she watches carefully as I place it on her lap. She watched my every move and quickly stared into my eyes waiting to hear what I was going to say.

"Why are you here?" I said feeling like a piece of meat the way her eyes were roaming my body.

"To see you, silly!" I never understood why she used such a girly voice when she talked. She sounded like my sister in fangirl mode.

"How did you find me?" I whisper. She let out a giggle and whispered back one word. Taft.

I couldn't believe my ears. I gripped my hand to the bottom of my chair. That little son of a biscut. I gesture her to continue.

"He told me I should come to distract you." She whispers the next part in my ear. "But I'm not supposed to tell so shhhh." She places a finger to her lips then giggles. Did I also say she's not the brightest? I give her a huge grin. She was so easy to understand. A basic dumb blonde.

"So what did he want to distract me from?" She looked pleased. Why? I wasn't sure, and I was feeling a little scared now.

"Well he told me that he thought you would be coming here today and he was confident you would bring a girl." She blinked at me."So here I am." And again she let out a giggle. But this time louder than before and very annoying. She points behind me and I turn around. Taft and Sam were walking our way and to my relief they weren't holding hands.

Just to fool Taft I'll play along and pretend like I knew nothing.

I laughed silently at the thought. That would be hard to do with Jen.