Chapter 13: Dreams

Tyler's Point of View

Will you be my tutor?

With those five words, I could feel my ego deflating. I had to hold my breath awaiting her answer.

"Wait what?" I hear a very confused looking Sam.

I felt my ears heat up. This was a stupid idea. I was a stupid person. Why would I have thought Samantha would help me, when I am not even nice to her?

"I was..., I was wondering if you would like to tutor me?" I said feeling even more embarrassed.

It wasn't like I had failing grade, because D's were supposed to be right below average grade. But, who am I kidding? Whose mother would be proud to say that their son can manage to be an all-star football player, but can barely pass his semester with all D's? Certainly not mine.

"Why would you want to be tutored?" I heard Sam say. It made me scrunch in distaste. Aren't I the one that is supposed to be asking stupid questions?

"Because obviously I am a mathematical prodigy who is seeking to ruin the minds of everyone who once thought they were smart." You could just feel the sarcasm deep inside my soul blossom into my words.

Sam rolled her eyes and re-adjusted the books that were in her hands.

"Why do you want my help?" She asks, her voice faltering.

"Why do you want to know what happened between me and Joel?" I ask back. Hopefully her curiosity peaks just enough to help me.

I could see her debating on whether she should take the time to stick around with me.

"Will you pay me?"

"If I feel that your services have left me feeling pleasured, then yeah."

"I um..." She hesitated in thought.

"Look, Sam..." Here's where I really try... I mean I have to try to bring this home

"I've had an extremely shitty day, like over the top kill-me-now type of shit day, and I was told that if I don't bring my grades this semester, I'm going to have to quit football." I pause for a second. Was it really worth it? Should I get her to tutor but give away my past in exchange? All the long years I've worked so hard to forget. So I knew whatever I said next would change everything- for good or for worse.

"And, if you tutor me, I'll... I'll tell you what you want to know."

***

I was starting to believe it wasn't worth it but at the same time it was. Football was the kind of dream I grew up knowing I would do. Through everything I have lost, it was the one thing that stayed put.

Dad

Aurora

And I guess you could even add Joel to this mix.

It had been a couple months-maybe even a few years since I've thought about those people. The people who used to mean the world to me. The people who, one way or another, left me to fend for myself.

"Tyler." She giggled looking up at me with her warm brown eyes l that shone in the moonlight. "Get in." I watched as she jumped into the pier and disappeared under the water. It was too dark to see her silhouette but I could see her feet paddle around beneath the water.

"Aurora, its freezing. Get out before you freeze to death!" I yelled as she swam around with no worry in the world. That's how we used to be- the most carefree people in the world.

Then it took a odd turn.

"Tyler." I turn around noticing a voice, not from in the water- but from behind me.