Chapter 11: Because That's Not Awkward At All

It was the worst awkward car ride of my life.  It wasn’t that we were both soaking wet, or that I could see her black bra through her shirt. But when I walked into Waffle House with Sam by my side, her friends were just killing me with their glares. I know Joel already murdered me fifty different times in his head, but the others were just being cold. When Sam told her friends that she was driving me home, the temperature dropped twenty degrees. I knew not everyone liked me, but this bunch of oh-so-kind people just despised me. And they didn’t even know me! I dared to take a look at Joel, and all I saw were a ragging storm in his eyes. Looking away I see one of Sam’s friends whisper something into her ear, and as a response she just rolled her eyes and led me to her car.

When she started the car, I gave her the address to Ivy’s house and then came the uncomfortable silence. I kept facing the windows while she kept her eyes on the road.

So much for having a fun day today.

About halfway to my destination Sam attempted to talk to me. Key word: Attempted.

“So…” she started

“So?” I replied

“That was… um. Interesting” she said tapping her fingers on the steering wheel.

“Your friends hate me.” I say leaving the window and turning towards her.

“What? No, they don’t hate you. They jus-“ I cut her off. I would rather have her tell the truth

“Ha! Like Joel doesn’t completely despise me. If looks could kill, I would be gone the moment I stepped into that place. And that jerk had the audacity to be rude to someone he doesn’t even know. Ivy already is a nervous wreck, and the day I try to reach out to her again he just screws it up like he does with everything else.” I start ranting, until I see Samantha’s confused look.

“I thought Ivy had left because of a phone call?”

“Obviously not. She took my car for goodness sake. She could feel the tension between me and all of your so called friends. And the way Joel was acting was too much for her to handle.” I say a little too harsh. 

Samantha didn’t say another word the rest of the ride.

When I got to Ivy’s house I thanked you and she just muttered inaudible and drove off.

When I walked into Ivy's house I noticed her wrapped up in blankets watching TV. I was planning on just getting my car keys and leaving, but I couldn't bring myself to leave Ivy right away. Maybe because she looked just a tad upset, or maybe because I was the one who asked her to hang out with me. Either way, I ended up sitting at the other end of the couch.

"Nice friends you got there" she said-her voice dripping with sarcasm-not looking away from the TV.

"They are just the best aren't they? But I am really sorry about Joel and everyone else. If I knew that he would be there, then I wouldn't have taken you there." I said.

Ivy finally took her gaze off of the screen and towards me.

"Quick question. Is this the same guy as before? The one you would tell me about?" she asks me.

Sighing I turn my attention to anything but her. See the thing was that Ivy knew most of it. Most of me. Being my best childhood friend meant that she was the person I would dump all my problems onto. She was the person who knew my secrets and my life story. She was there for me through thick and thin, and even though we haven't been talking as often, she never stopped being that person.

She knew me and Joel were best friends, and when me and Joel-more like Joel- decided that are friendship was no longer valid, she was the first one I told. All the football drama, Mr. Popular drama, life drama, and friendship drama she was my personal vent. Luckily, I was hers in a way. Ivy was a very reserved person, but when you catch her at her weakest moments and help pick her up, she won't let go.