Chapter 14: Down to Business

She gave me a warm smile that seemed to light up her face; maybe because she actually was happy to see me or to be friendly... or because my mom and my sister were standing right behind. It was then that I noticed how nice it was when she actually grinned. It wasn't anything forced but it seemed natural.

Normally she looked at me like she wanted to run me over with a truck.

"You ok?" Her eyebrows rose in confusion. I snapped out of my thoughts realizing how I had just been standing there for a while not uttering a word. Opening the door a little wider, she walked in without another word. First, she happened to notice the assortments of fruit scattered across the carpet and then she glanced back up to see my mom and sister standing nearby with large grins plastered on their faces. I rolled my eyes.

So much for the rules.

"Oh, hi. I'm er...Samantha or Sam for short." I held back my laughter at how nervous she was to meet my not-so-average family.

"I've heard so much about you already..." Emily decides to put her little girl charm into use.

Kill me now. Damn you Emily.

I noticed Sam blush at the thought of me talking about her even though we both knew it wasn't true. Not to seem disrespectful, but I usually didn't tell my family about any girl unless it is completely necessary.

"Sorry about the -um-fruit. Tyler was having a bit of a temper." I quickly snapped my head in Emily's direction sending her a glare. Standing next to mom, she let out a giggle. Samantha hadn't even been here for more than five minutes, and they were already double teaming on me.

"And I'm Tyler's non-annoying sister, Emily." She held her biggest "trust-me-I-don't-bite" grin and shook her hand.

Sam let out a genuine laugh. "Nice to meet you, Ms. King. Emily."

"Whatever they tell you while you're here is a lie. I can manage my anger perfectly fine." I said closing the door behind me.

"That's what he wants you to think." My mom said leading Sam to the living room.

We both sat down, Sam with her books in her lap, and I quickly noticed that we weren't alone. Three rules. I only asked for them to follow three simple rules.

"Mom... don't you have to, I don't know, some laundry to do?" I try my best to give her a hint.

"What laund- oh yeah! Laundry..." She winked at me, but it was so obvious that even Samantha started to giggle.

"If there is anything you need, I'll be right upstairs." She grinned taking Emily with her. Geez. Way to make me look cool.

Turning to Sam I saw her trying to hide her laughter. Go figure.

"So..."I say rubbing my hand on my knees, "Where do we begin?"

"Er... Well," She got out the remainder of her laughter with a cough, "Let me see your test and quizzes. That way I can see what the problem is, and what you need help with." She said twirling a pencil in her hand.

My test grades? Those are low enough to give anyone a heart attack. And, for this tutoring thing to work, Sam needed to be breathing... or so I hope.

"Are you sure you want to see my test and quiz grades?"

"I mean if it's okay with you. I'm not trying to invade or anything. It's just that If this is going to work properly and efficiently I would have t-" I cut her off. She was getting really worked up over nothing. How adorable.

"Its fine, I promise. I just don't want to be the cause of your death."

"Seriously Tyler, that can't be that bad."