Florida

What did he just say ? I'm not sure I heard him well

I stand behind the bar, my mouth hanging wide open and I am sure I look like a psychopath with my huge green eyes that just stared at my supposedly "brother", like he called himself. This can't be. He is messing with me, because I don't have a brother. The only family I had is dead and he somehow knows it. But how ?

He is messing with me. Probably one of Nick's friend who was send to hurt me once again. Just then... I start laughing hysterically. I am going mad. My whole body is aching as I try to stop myself from laughing, clutching hardly onto my stomach  to the point where tears start to form in my eyes.

I feel his cold stare on me and suddenly, I remember where I am which makes the laugher die down quickly. He is messing with me...

I stare at the guy in front of me, a glimpse of hope passing through his green eyes. I opened my mouth to say something, anything, but not a word comes out, so I close it again.

I can't believe it. This man is telling me he is my brother. Yet I don't have any. Right ? But why do I have this strange feeling of familiarity around his presence ?
My feelings are just all over the place right now, I feel so overwhelmed that I might actually pass out. First the traumatic event from yesterday and now this ?

I stared intensely at him, digging my eyes in him to try and find any proof of lie, but I am left empty handed. Just then, suddenly a picture of him comes in the back of my mind. My younger self playing outside a big garden with someone that looks like him, but in younger too. We are screaming and laughing without a single worry in the world, as we throw balls at each other.

I wander off, as I let myself being dragged into the unknown memory, I have yet to explore.

"Ethan." I mumble this single name without thinking, as if it was the most normal thing in the world. It takes me and him completely off guard. I watch as his intense stare immediately soften and a small smile forms on his stern face.

"You remember" He states and I shrug, because I don't really remember anything else than this short memory. So I am not wrong, his name really is Ethan. How is that possible ? It feels like deep down I know him, but something keeps it locked away for me to reach it, like a barrier was built around his identity and maybe something even bigger.

We look at each other for a few seconds, both trying to figure out what we should say. I am scared to be honest, what if this guy isn't my brother and he made this whole story up just to get to me and hurt me. I can't trust him.

"Fucking hell Magnolia...we thought you were dead" he finally breaths out, breaking the silence between us as he walks around the bar I was hiding behind to bring me into a hug. Well he tried to take me in his arms, but I flinched and backed away as far away from him as possible. It was just pure instinct, but the broken look that washed over his face for just a second, left me guilty.