The closest

Blood

Blood. It's everywhere. I don't understand, just a few seconds ago it wasn't even in the picture, but now... it's all I see. My father's hand is covered in cuts, exactly where the shattered windows hit him, and a dark red liquid is coming out of these cuts which deform his previous perfect hand. I see him trying to cup my face in his bloody hands, but I back away in shock. "Get out of here Magnolia. Run." he whispers to me as the colour in his face slowly starts to drain away.

I close my eyes tightly as my breathing starts to quicken. I want these pictures out of my head but they keep coming back, along with other pictures of a different car crash. An unknown arm wraps itself around my body, bringing it closer their hard chest. I keep my eyes closed as I try to steady my breathing which seems impossible at this moment.

"You're okay, you're okay." a deep voice whispers in my ear as he simultaneously draws small circles on my lower back to smooth me. I can barely move, this panic attack is crushing my lungs and I am afraid that if I move it will only make it worse. So instead I grab the shirt of the person, I holding it tightly in my fist and don't plan on letting it go.

None of us moves for a few minutes, but as I feel my breathing getting back to normal, I push the person who held me in his arms for so long away from me. I need to know who helped me.

Damon's stormy green eyes look at me with worry and pity. I don't dare to look long into his eyes so I quickly shift my gaze back to the ground, which was a big mistake. I find myself looking straight at my bloody hands covered in small cuts. Before I even have the time to analyse them, Damon's hands find my face and bring it up so I could look into his eyes again.

"Look at me, it's going to be fine." His voice is reassuring and seems so sincere. But is it really ? Does he really care ?

"Is it okay if I call Leo so he can clean out your cuts ?" he slowly asks as if he was scared that I was going to break down any second. Little does he know I went through so much worse pain, especially when he died in front of my eyes. I don't have the strength to reply with a verbal sentence so I give him a small nod and before I know it Leo is already in the room with me, cleaning and bandaging my hands.

"Why did you do that ?" Leo questions me once he finishes taking care of my hands.

"What ?" I mumble absently as I am not quite sure what he is talking about.

"When the plate fell and shattered... you were so scared that you fell directly on your knees to pick up the pieces with your hands. You were so scared that you didn't even feel the cuts made by the sharp edges as you picked them up. It's like you were scared that we were going to hurt you..." Leo points out the things that happened and I am shocked at how good he noticed everything.

I stare back at him, unable to even answer his question or rather the facts he pointed out.  I sense that he wants to continue pushing with his questions, but Damon gets in the room and gives him a severe look that makes him shut up immediately. It's as if he already knew what Leo wanted to ask.