Just a few Meters

Together with Tucker we jump down the tree to enter the garden of Castello di Fiamme

Together with Tucker we jump down the tree to enter the garden of Castello di Fiamme. A flash of pain shoots through my weak ankle, but I ignore it as I keep running towards the glass doors of the mansion. Tucker aims at one of them before shooting a bullet, breaking the glass in million of pieces and we run inside, directly splitting in different ways.

Seeing it all in real life is different than on Greyson's computer, but I manage to find my way, until I come across an armed guard that aims his gun directly at me, before ordering for me to stop.

My heart clenches when I take my knife without hesitation and throw it straight at his torso, leaving him in shock and on the ground. I pass next to him, taking back the knife and start running down the stairs. Behind me I hear the voice of Damon, and I tense realising that they are here to stop me, but then adrenaline pushes me to go even faster.

After running through multiple corridors, I finally see the painting through my eyes that are now blurred with tears, and run towards it. On my first try I don't manage to unhook it, my arms too weak, nevertheless after trying again the painting falls on the ground with a heavy thud. I spot the keypad and start entering the six letters with my shaky fingers and I hold my breath when I enter the code.

I just hope it's the right one.

A flash of green appears and I let out a breath of relief, but nothing really happens, which makes me start to panic, especially when I hear the footsteps of guys running down the stairs now.

My eyes dart back and forth between the vault and the keypad and thankfully I see three small openings on the bottom of the wall next to the vault and I figure out that these are the keyholes for the necklaces. So with one movement I remove them from my neck and enter the sliver plates into the holes.

I hear a small beeping sound, before the big door of the vault opens in a crack and quickly I push it open with all my force and weakly climb inside. As I do so, I feel a pair of eyes burning into me.

My body turns automatically around and I wish it didn't, because there, at the end of the hallway, my eyes cross ways with Jace's eyes, and pure hopelessness reflects in them. He started running faster, I look away and shut the heavy door, before he could interfere in any way and see a button that indicates "lock" that I quickly push.

A small locking sound can be heard and a second after I hear Jace's broken shouts scream desperately, followed by his fists banging against the door, begging me not to do that.

With my body shaking through my sobs, I take some slow steps away from the door, while facing it, the image of Jace's look replaying over and over in my head.

"I'm sorry." I sob clutching at my chest where my heart is in pain.

I close my eyes so hard, trying to block out all the voices that scream to me not to do any of this and when I open them again, I acknowledge for the first time the room that I locked myself in.