Chapter Fourteen: mirrorball

I want you to knowI'm a mirrorballI can change everything about me to fit in

I want you to know
I'm a mirrorball
I can change everything about me to fit in

     Ember did wake up with a pounding headache- but it wasn't in her own bed. Even more, it wasn't with her own clothes on either.

     The brunette girl- she died her hair again- sat up from her comfortable position, and looked down to see nobody laying next to her- but the sheets were disheveled. She was pretty drunk last night, so she forgot a lot of it, but she also had an anxiety attack out of nowhere. She couldn't seem to remember why, because she had only jus- And then she remembered.

     Just as she's having another crisis, looking around her frantically for her phone, getting on the floor and looking under the bed and even pacing around, the door creaks open. She stops in place where she's standing and looks at the masked figure, who isn't Harry? The man walks in and takes off his mask, leaving Nialls red face.

     She lets out a quick breath and runs to hug her friend. He holds her tight in his arms and caress her hair, before pulling away and looking at her outfit. Why was she wearing one of Harry's shirts? Why couldn't Harry lend her some pants?

     "Whatever," he sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder, "Let's get you home."

     Ember was a little unsure of this, because there was no way to get her home if Harry was here. That wouldn't happen. Did Harry not tell him that part? That this supposedly was her new home? The thought of living her with him made her a little sick to her stomach.

     Niall noticed the girls slow walking, and picked her up bridal-style to get out the door faster. He didn't know why she was here, or what Harry wanted to do with her, but it couldn't have been good.

     Just as Niall reaches the dark wood doors, a voice bellows from the kitchen, staring evilly at the both of them.

     "And just where are you taking her?" He yells, or calls loudly to him.

     "Home? I'm taking her ho-"

     "She is home. Put her on the couch, but you are going to have a chat with me." Harry fists his shirt.

     Niall hesitantly places Ember down, knowing he will have no choice but to follow Harry's orders. Niall ducks down and whispers a little message into her ear, which makes her smile, nearly start crying, and envelope him in a hug.

     Harry doesn't like this sight at all, so he grabs onto Nialls arm and pulls him into his office- the door loudly shutting behind them.

     Ember could hear soft mumbles of yells and screams, but her mind was occupied at the moment. She was thinking about her mom. It took everything in her body not to burst into tears and drown in them, which honestly sounded better than her current state. She wanted to go home. She wanted to see En- Enzo. He's a gang leader, he's probably tracking her at this minute- Any second now, barging the door open. But he never came.

     That made Ember want to cry more. Suddenly, the door opened and Niall walked out. She muttered a quick 'are you okay?' to which he ignored and walked out of the house. She sat staring at the door for a second, but then looked over to the office door. She softly crept up to the doorway and pushed open the door, to find Harry reclined back in his chair with a disturbed look on his face.

     She boldly took another step forward, into the room. He looked up at her and his face softened, knowing he couldn't be mad when she was around. Even bolder, she took a step to him and looked even closer at his face. His emerald eyes and the little hairs beneath his nose, all the little things and other things.

     "Come sit on my lap, doll." He grumbled. His eyes were trained on her, almost not believing she was really here in front of him. "Come on, I don't bite."

     She skeptically straddled his lap, slightly wiggling to find the most comfortable position.

     "Not quite what I meant but," his voice was caught off by a low moan that escaped him. She widened her eyes in alert and looked up at him. He only chuckled. "It'd be nice if you could stop moving."

     Harry pushed her head down onto his shoulder and softly placed his hand on her bottom. She jumped up to look at him, and he only pushed her head back down. As he stroked her hair, he spoke to her.

     "What me and Niall do, it's a- a tricky business. When we ha-"

     "You mean being a gang leader." She interrupted.

     "Yes. Being a gang leader is my job, but he's like my second in command."

     "Your underboss." She says softly, taking in the information.

     "Why do you know so much about that? I don't want you-"

     "My dad. My brother too, both gang leaders. Enzo was out of the country, but he came back-" She interrupted him, only to be interrupted again.

     "Enzo? ENZO!? Tell me you're lying and your brother, who is a gang leader is not fucking Enzo Reid!" He pushed her back and yelled at her.

     He watched over her for about two years, but he never learned about her brother. Or her family's business. That was stuff that wasn't brought up on the daily in her house.

     "Then I'd be lying.." She looked wearily at him, to which his face hardened. "Are you going to kick me out?" She whimpered.

     He snapped back to reality and looked down at her. His face dramatically softened and his eyes bore into nothing but her own. She nervously shifted under his gaze.

     "No, never, baby. You're mine. You aren't leaving." He signed and held her face in his hand.

     But he's a murderer, she thought to herself. He's a murderer who kills and tortures innocent people. It's wrong.

     Yet, she couldn't help it. She was so captivated by his eyes- and his smile- and everything about him. She wanted to spend her forever with him. Ember selfishly loved the way Harry didn't give a shit about anything else in the world if she was with him. She loved the way he touched her gently in contrast to his harsh gestures towards Niall, or any of his friends.

     She loved the way he would kill someone for her.

     Or, maybe, she was just in love with him.

You are not like the regulars
The masquerade revelers
Drunk as they watch my shattered edges glisten