Chapter Seven: Fearless

bubblymad how u doin homeslice

And I don't know how it gets better than thisYou take my hand and drag me head firstFearless

You take my hand and drag me head first
Fearless

"Please!" He begged with a smile prominent on his face. Her fingers were forcefully intertwined with his as he pleaded persistently.

She rolled her lips in her mouth, but then stuck them back out to pout at him, making him frown. His eyes forced out false tears which made her scoff at the boy in front of her. Her frail hand wipes away the fake drops of liquid streaming from his eyes. His irises twinkle from the driver's side as his face lights up to a smile.

"You are so overly dramatic, batman."

The nickname "batman" was constructed during a drunken night shared between the two, Ember giggling profusely while Calum confusedly watched. She claimed that he resembled batman, which they both found hysterical - it seemed to be the only thing they remembered from that night in the morning.

"Yes, I'll go to the fair with you." She huffed as his eyes gleamed 10 shades brighter.

Calum had been begging for the past couple hours to go on a date to the fair. Ember would've complied at first, if it wasn't for her bitterness towards fairs. She thought they were silly and for children, and that dates to a fair wouldn't ever end well. To her, the concept of a fair was stupid and useless.

The ride to their destination was filled with laughter and smiles, the both of them teasing each other in a cute way. They played many songs, to which Ember stopped singing multiple times to hear Calum. His voice was angelic to her, and she got butterflies in the pit of her stomach each time he would turn and sing to her. His voice was loud yet quiet, achieving a mastery of beauty that Ember couldn't comprehend. She hadn't heard anyone as angelic ever before. Maybe she was just in love with him.

They stop at a stop sign and Calum takes her hand in his, rubbing small circles on her thumb. He reaches her arm up, and pecks her hand before letting it drop with a slight swing. Ember turns to look at him and her eyes glimmer. She thought, in the moment, that this was the man of her dreams.

They sit in silence, absorbing each other's company as the end to a song comes. Calum turns down the radio but keeps his eyes firmly in front of him. He has a smirk on his perfect face that gives Ember butterflies. Every now and again, he'll flick his eyes over to look at his golden girl, and believes she gets more beautiful each time he looks.

As much as she wouldn't admit it, she was quite thrilled for their date.

"So I was thinking-" Ember starts before being interrupted by a phone ringing.

Calum mumbles a quick 'sorry' to her as he pulls his phone out. His eyes flick to the caller id, then widen. She knits her eyebrows together as he looks nervously at her.

"Can I take this?" He whispers. She nods, weirded out that he felt the need to ask. He gives her a small smile as he answers the phone.

Incoherent mumbling is heard from
the other side, but whatever is being said is making Calum upset.

"Now, mate? I'm 'bout to take my girl on a date. Can't it wait?" Calum huffs angrily, but Embers spirits are lifted by him calling her 'his girl'. She'd never been thought of as anything more than a friend by someone, so this was a new thing for her.

More, louder, mumbles are heard from the other line now. Angrier the person sounds, urgently trying to get Calum to comply.

"I'm not doing this now, Lou. Ask Zayn- oh sorry man, I shouldn't have brought him up. What about Ash? He's free today." Calum argues.

Who are these people, Ember can't help but think. Who are Lou, Zayn and Ashton? We're they his friends? What was 'Lou' asking of Calum? Was it bad?

As Ember is lost in thought, Calum hangs up the phone. She snaps her head to look at Calum, who is staring intently in front of him- except no smirk this time.

"Is everything okay?" She asks thoughtfully. She felt the need to ask, in hopes of lifting his spirits.

"Yeah, baby. Don't worry about it." He gives her a weak smile. "Just- work stuff."

Before she could even argue, he pulls into a gravel lot packed with other vehicles. Her frown is replaced with a wide-eyed smile that couldn't be matched.

Calum no longer looked depressed or worried, but had a carefree nearly childlike gleam in his eyes. It was adorable to Ember how his attention span was so limited. Some people would think it's annoying. His eyes told a story, which was admirable. You could see when something upset him, or if something really thrilled him - he was thrilled.

"Can we go on the big swing first?" Calum inquired. She giggled as her palm pushed the car door open.

"Sure, why not."

As they walked around the fair, something stood in the back of her mind. Was this right?

Her mother always used to talk to her about how she and her father fell in love. It was ironic, she was dating his best friend. They always shared glances, and her mother knew he was bad news, but couldn't help herself. She gave into temptation, and now they were happily married with two kids. It was romantic. Ember didn't know if this was the same feeling.

She was in love with Calum, she was attracted to Calum, but she couldn't make up her mind. In the car only a few minutes ago, she thought of marrying the man before her. Now she's not so sure.

She thought there would be sparks when you fell in love. Like a firework show would go off in your heart. The world would stop and everyone around would see it, the way you looked at each other. Your parents would encourage you to elope. His parents will think of you as their child. You will feel like you would sacrifice everything you've ever worked for in your life to his well being. She liked Calum, but not that much.

Ember wanted a happily ever after. She wanted to feel like a princess on her wedding day, not someone who was betrothed in a rush. She was only a kid, but she thought she'd have to world figured out.

Most of all, she wanted Calum to be happy. She was kind and true and wouldn't want anyone to go through any kind of pain. She loved him. She was sure of it, she just knew it.

She just wasn't sure if she love loved him.

And I don't know why but with you I'd dance
In a storm in my best dress
Fearless