Chapter Fifteen: ...Ready For It?

Knew he was a killer first time that I saw himWonder how many girls he had loved and left haunted

Wonder how many girls he had loved and left haunted

Ember had a plan. She knew that this plan was not a great idea, and it would get her in a shitload of trouble if she were found out, but she had to construct this plan. She physically could not live in his "custody" any longer.

He visibly had secrets that he was hiding from her, and it was scary. She didn't want to find out his secrets. She wanted to leave. She wanted to go home. She wanted to get her family to leave the state. There was no way she could ever live with him, and he had to have known that. What possessed him to think that she really liked him enough to stay forever with him?

Ember changed her mind. She didn't want to spend her forever with him, because she had a nap and woke up in her right mind. Their had to have been some drugs he gave her or something, because there is absolutely no way she would ever love a freak like Harry. Ever.

Her plan was to wait until they were sleeping. Harry was fine to not overstep boundaries, and didn't sleep with her thankfully. She would sneak out of her room and go down to his office, that room being the only room in the house that had a window that could open. Coincidentally, it was on the first floor, so she wouldn't have to fall far. After she got out, she would run to a restaurant or a store or somewhere open that there might be workers with cell phones. She would call Niall, he would pick her up, and she would go home. After that- she would get her brother on the case. Enzo would know what to do.

Ember couldn't understand Harry's odd reaction toward the mention of her brother. They were both gang leaders, so that means that they couldn't be working together. Further meaning, they are most likely enemies. She remembered the first time she talked to Harry. He said that "he" was back. That was around the time Enzo came into town, of course before he came home. This incident was only more reason to leave.

Dinner was ordinary. She pretended to act normally, to act nice, to gain his trust. She had already stolen the office key, but just to ensure that Harry wouldn't be suspicious, she maintained her normal behavior. She pretended she was talking to Calum, sadly. She pretended she was on a date with him- they were at his apartment. But they weren't.

"I'm tired, love, I think I am going to go to sleep." Harry smiled at her after they watched a movie. She smiled back and said goodnight.

When he asked if she was tired as well, she said that she wasn't- that she would watch another movie. He shrugged and walked up to his bedroom.

She turned on another movie. She thought it might be Love Actually, but she wasn't sure. She was nervous- all she could think about was her plan. She planned it out in her head during the whole movie. Each scene, each minute, each second, over and over again. This was something that she just couldn't mess up.

After the movie was over, she was sure he'd be asleep. She couldn't go on with the plan if he wasn't, though. Slowly, she sneaked up the steps all the way to the third floor. It took a while, but she couldn't risk not being extra-careful.

Just as planned, he was fast asleep. She hoped it would be easier than she thought.

She tiptoed to her room, obviously next to his, and grabbed the key from her nightstand. She fisted the key in her pocket and slowly walked out and down the stairs. She took care to peek in his room a second time, to find him just as asleep.

When she reached his office door, she slipped the key in and unlocked it speedily. She softly shut the door behind her to make sure no noise escaped from it. There it was- the window. Beyond it was just woods, no real path or clearing. She had no choice, though, she'd come this far already.

Just as she opened the window, she heard a scream. It was Harry, he said her name. She wouldn't be able to cover her tracks, she couldn't afford the loss of that time. Instead of putting the key in it's rightful place she ran out the window.

She ran like her life depended on it. One foot after another, over, over, and over. She was sacrificing so much with each step. Her life with one, her happiness another, her pride, her smile, her friends, her freedom. Yet- with each step, she gained them all just as much.

The woods were large and deep and dark, but she didn't care. She didn't care that she fell down on her knees or that she ran into a couple branches. She didn't care that she was bleeding and bruising or that he would be on her tail very soon.

Although Ember's determination was high, her stamina was low. She feared that she wouldn't make it that far, considering as she was out of breath after running up the stairs. Hopefully her will could help her go the extra mile.

After what felt like hours of just running, she stood in front of a gas station. She didn't hesitate to run right in, and she found a person working behind the counter. Out of breath, she requested to use their phone. The man inhaled a breath sharply, looking around. Ember's nerves skyrocketed- she had no time to waste.\

"Listen, I work for Harry. He will definitely be after you and on his way now, so I would keep running. Run until you find another gas station, then the one after that one. I can't help you, I'm sorry, but you need to hurry. Go, now!" The man told her quietly, then nudged her out the door. Before she was completely out the door, he spoke again. "I am going to have to call him and tell him about this- it's my job- but I can tell him I couldn't get you to stay."

Ember tightly smiled at the man and nodded before she ran out the door.

But if he's a ghost, then I can be a phantom
Holdin' him for ransom