Chapter Sixteen: Getaway Car

You were drivin' the getaway carWe were flyin', but we'd never get farDon't pretend it's such a mysteryThink about the place where you first met me

We were flyin', but we'd never get far
Don't pretend it's such a mystery
Think about the place where you first met me

The girl braced herself of what was to come in the rocky roads of god knows wherever she was. Though she didn't know when she left, it occurred to her that she wasn't bearing any shoes on her feet. Her heels bled and her toes scraped, but that was no good motivation to head back.

The once bright sun softly lowered like a sinking ship, pushing Ember closer and closer to her unbeatable demise. It hurt, it really fucking hurt, but it was the only option.

In her sad, predictable life- never had she thought she'd be running from a mass murderer. In her life she never thought she'd feel such risk. She never thought she'd feel such opportunity.

She was on the brink of toppling over, her soft cheek hitting the coarse paved roads, but she wouldn't. Ember's pride wouldn't let her. Her stupid, awkward smile wouldn't let her.

Ember ran, ran, ran and ran but she smiled through the whole thing. It could be wondered, well- what made Ember that special? She was any normal girl, she was really average. Good grades, pretty, but that's normal. That's no personality. She did have a personality, but that wasn't her specialty. It was her disposition. Her cheerful, calm and nearly psycho optimism. It was her happiness, her unfading smile.

Though Harry was close, and not too far behind her, she ran. She ran and she smiled and she kept running like her life depended on it. It did.

He ran on foot too, he would catch her. It seemed that she knew that too- but she didn't stop fighting. It was out of the question.

The brunette boy was a distance viewable away from her now, to where a couple times she turned around and smiled at him. She smiled her big, goofy smile.

He looked at her confused. Why would she smile in a situation like this? Shouldn't she be crying? Running for her life? Then he realized- she was. This was Ember, the girl he fell in love with. This was his reason. IS his reason. His one happy memory, her smile, unfading and proud and stupid and goofy. This is his Ember. So she smiled. He did too.

And that was the beauty of the situation. She was Ember, she would smile as she ran from death- death that approached her and cornered her. He was Harry, he would smile too, but only for her and nobody else.

She got to the gas station. She actually got to it, surprising herself. When Ember reached the counter, she gave the worker a large smile, he awkwardly returned it. She wasn't in a rush anymore- because Harry stopped running. He saw her smile and stopped, his grin as big as ever. He knew that if his friends were there, they'd laugh at him and call him stupid nicknames. He wouldn't care though, he wouldn't mind anymore. They could call him all the names in the world but he would still smile for her and only her.

Niall picked up, and said he'd be on his way. That made her smile more, weirdly. There might've been something wrong with her and her crazy mind. That didn't faze her. Nothing could.

"Com'ere you puppy dog!" Niall yelled when he finally arrived. She was sat on the hard rock of concrete in front of the station, even after they'd closed. Ember looked at him and smiled- again.

And they rode off, blasting songs that they knew and ones that they didn't. They giggled at everything and anything. She was on a high of absolutely nothing at all because she could be. That is Ember. That is why Harry loves her.

She had a feeling she'd have to go back. He would find her again and they'd be on their way, but for now- she was free from him. Free from everyone.

They passed neon lights that blurred with the speed. They passed tall buildings, small buildings too. They passed Sunny's Cafe.

At the sight of the cafe, her smile faded slightly. He noticed, Niall did. There- in front of the building stood the one and only, smiling too. Ember looked over at Niall, put on another smile, and nodded. With that, the car came to a stop in front of the cafe. She embraced her blonde friend before she opened the door and stepped out.

Harry smirked at her before smoothing out her frizzed hair. She looked up at him with a smirk too, one that gave even him butterflies.

"You are in a shit load of trouble, love- I hope you know that. You will be punished." He whispered in her ear with a chuckle, making her shiver slightly.

"Whatever. I had fun." She shrugged.

Harry opened the passenger door for her, to his black vehicle. She did a little curtsy before hopping in the large black car. From where he stood, Harry could see Niall in his convertible roll his eyes, an obvious hint at Ember's insanity. Harry chuckled softly before hopping around to the other side of the car and getting in.

Turning over to look at her, Harry started the car. She looked at him too, with a wide smile.

The two strange and insane lovers rode off in the moonlight, forgetting all past feelings of hate and demise.

At least for now.

Ridin' in a getaway car
There were sirens in the beat of your heart
Should've known I'd be the first to leave
Think about the place where you first met me