(39) Meraki

Go read Ikigai if you love well-developed plotlines and lots of angst. It's gonna be wild ass ride :,)

***

"Favorite color?"

"Now you know that's a difficult question for me."

"For shit's sake, y/n. Just pick a stupid color." Katsuki groaned, his left hand running over his face irritated.

"I can't decide. What color do you think goes with me?" I let my head fall back, hitting the headrest of the seat.

We'd been bouncing questions back and forth to each other. A way for us to get to know each other better while also erasing time for the drive to the Hero Licensing Exam. Sure, it may have been a bit redundant when we ran out of things to ask but I thought it was fun.

His fingertips grazed over the skin on my hand, smoothed over the surface sending a trail of light goosebumps everywhere his skin touched mine.

His finger traced a familiar pattern over one spot: a heart.

He repeated the motion over and over until the surface became numb, continued as he thought about my question harder than he should have.

But I wasn't going to interrupt him.

"I dunno, red?" He said, finally looking down from mindlessly staring at the bus ceiling. It was cute; the way he actually thought about his answer.

"That sounded more like a question." I retorted maybe a bit more mockingly and I meant for it to come out.

"Red. Just accept my answer already, damn it." He cursed under his breath.

"Why red? Never thought of that color before to represent me. Maybe like black? Because of my powers." I rambled on lightly until it trailed off into a whisper.

"You're powerful, fierce. Guess almost like a fire, just really intense." His words were slow, held more meaning than the simple sentences from what he shared just now. But I appreciated the small explanation as it was.

I smiled, nodding my head. "Okay, sure. I'll accept that."

Ding-Ding

New Message
Big Toe
Good luck today to u and Katsuki. We'll celebrate later when you get back 🤩

"Who was that?" Katsuki wondered. He placed his chin on my shoulder, looking over at the screen. His hand still held my left one.

"Sen. He said good luck and that we'll celebrate later," I said, tucking my phone back into my blazer. I attempted to turn my head but had yet to realized Katsuki still had his face close to mine.

His nose stabbed into my eyes making me retract it quickly.

"Ow, you're stupid nose." I laughed, covering my eye. It began to water a bit making him panic slightly.

"My stupid nose? How about watching where you turn your head!" He yelled, taking hold of my head in his arms. He put his hand over my eye and started rubbing it aggressively.

"This isn't helping at all." I sighed with a smile. He continued anyway, poking my cheek with his finger before letting me go. "Your nose is dangerous."

"Oh shut up, you damn child." He rolled his eyes as his silent way of telling me to stuck it up but it was all fun and games. He knew I was being exaggerative just to mess with him.

Aizawa stood up as the bus had come to a stop. "Alright. Get your things. We're here." His tone was slightly rushed as it seemed he was also on edge with the idea of this exam.