one; wrong number

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

kageyama's point of view

riiiiinggggggg
my god, finally, it's time for volleyball practice.

i quickly push past the other first years and make my way to the gym, only after stopping by the vending machine for a milk.

all day i could only think about practicing hinata and i's quick attack. our last practice game was a total disaster because neither of us could get our shit together.

daichi and the other third years are the first in the gym, as usual, and the net is already set up. i make my way to change and get my shoes on.

once i'm done, i notice that tanaka and nishinoya have also arrived, and moments later, the rest of the team walks in. the only person missing is hinata.

great. he's late, again. that dumbass.

10 minutes pass as we all wait for hinata to arrive. i've already stretched just about every muscle in my body twice.

"kageyama, can't you just call him? he's holding up practice!" nishinoya says, approaching me near the wall and jumping up and down impatiently. tanaka comes over too.

"okay," i say, grabbing my phone and a piece of paper that hinata wrote his number on from my bag.

"dude, you don't even have his number saved?" tanaka says, slapping me upside the head. i just roll my eyes, dialing in the numbers.

this idiot's handwriting sucks. what even is this number?

i click the call button, hoping i read the last few digits right.

"dude, put it on speaker!" tanaka says after the call starts. "i want to yell at this little idiot!"

"i am! hinata, where the hell are you? you're holding up practice!" i say, rather pissed off.

"get here now shorty!" nishinoya chimes in. there's silence on the other end for a few seconds, before someone speaks up.

"um... who is this?" a voice asks on the other end. it certainly doesn't sound like hinata.

the three of us go silent, looking at each other confused.

"hello?" the person asks. it sounds like a girl and i see nishinoya and tanaka's ears perk up, smirks growing on their faces. i roll my eyes again.

"my name is nishinoya! what's your name?" noya says, rather flirtatiously. i sigh, annoyed.

"uh, amaya... but who is this? how did you get my number?" the girl, amaya, asks, quite timidly.

"our idiot teammate crappyama here dialed the wrong number," tanaka says.

"it's kageyama-"

tanaka smirks, then says, "i'm tanaka by the way. you have a miyagi area code, are you from here?"

"i-um- yeah, i go to karasuno high, why?" the girl says. i feel bad for her that these idiots aren't giving up. the shit they'll do for a girlfriend.

"we go to karasuno too! what year are you?" noya asks. i'll admit, my curiously is piqued too.

"we're second years, and kageyama here is a first year," tanaka says, flicking my forehead. i swat his hand away, glaring at him.

"we should really stop bothering her-" i say, but i'm cut off by the girl.

"i'm a first year."

noya and tanaka look at each other, then at me, raising their eyebrows repeatedly as if they're trying to suggest something.

noya opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by hinata's arrival.

"SORRY I'M LATE YOU GUYS," he says, dashing in the gym, his shirt on inside-out and hair tousled.

noya and tanaka run over and start yelling at him, leaving me still on the phone with the girl.

"i- i have to go now. s-sorry for bothering you. i meant to call my teammate. okay, bye," i quickly and anxiously say. i don't usually talk to girls since my mind is always on volleyball.

"it's okay, really. bye," she says, hanging up. i set my phone down and walk over to the rest of my team.

but the rest of practice, i'm a little distracted by the mysterious first year girl from my school.