Chapter 9: Shadows

-Alice-

My eyes fluttered open, and I found myself standing on the cold metal floor. The room lay bare before me, its emptiness a stark reflection of the situation we were entangled in. Soft footsteps echoed nearby, and I turned to find Techno B approaching me with an unhurried pace, her hands resting casually in the pockets of her hoodie.

"Hey, Alice," she greeted, her hand finding my shoulder, "I'm guessing you're starting to piece it all together now, right?"

"Yeah," I replied, relief washing over me as I finally voiced the thoughts that had been swirling in my mind. "Those viruses, the Malwares – they're a threat to all of you."

Her nod was a mixture of agreement and acknowledgment. "Exactly. That's why each of us brings you to a place like this – an empty room where we can talk without distractions."

Confusion began to twist its way into my understanding. "But what's the purpose of all this?"

"It's about helping you humans comprehend why Techno A, Techno L, and I can't take on these dangerous Malwares ourselves," Techno B explained.

'Three of them?' I mused internally, 'So, only Techno A is capable of fighting?'

"Yes," Techno B responded to my unspoken question, her head tilting slightly. "Something horrific transpired in our past."

I felt a jolt of realization – she was responding to my thoughts. 'She can read my thoughts.'

As if confirming my discovery, she hummed thoughtfully. "You're right, Alice. I can hear your thoughts."

I cleared my throat, a bit flustered. "Can you describe their abilities and weaknesses, then?"

Techno B's head shook gently. "There's only one Malware I genuinely loathe, and I had to resort to wearing these glasses because of her."

My brows furrowed in curiosity. "Glasses for vision impairment?"

A chuckle escaped her lips. "You'll understand soon enough. I need to show you myself." With a cold hand, she tilted my chin, her fingers gentle yet unyielding.

"But how are you going to show me?" I questioned, genuinely intrigued.

Her touch traced the contour of my jaw, her gaze unwavering. "Techno A requested this – I'm going to share everything about my enemy through my memories."

'Memories?' The word reverberated through my mind, tinged with a mix of uncertainty and anticipation.

She continued, her voice carrying a weight of solemnity. "We were also instructed not to reveal our past. Those events, Alice, were the absolute worst."

Her hand shifted from my jaw to my cheek, her touch oddly comforting. "As for what I mentioned earlier," she began, her expression softening, "I can't confront her again. The past holds too much frailty for me in combat. That goes for what happened to Techno I and Techno L as well."

A sigh escaped her, heavy with the burden of memories. "Our Leader, though, she's been fortunate to avoid such events. Yet she's tirelessly tried to mend our lives and energies – unfortunately, with limited success."

I looked into her eyes, earnestness in my voice. "I'll understand you better after experiencing your memories."

She closed her eyes, a small chuckle escaping her lips. "You're quite straightforward for a human."

Her fingers found my neck, her index and middle finger resting on my pulse. A strange energy flowed through me, its presence both calming and unsettling.