Chapter 3: Dilemma

The sharp jab in my neck roused me, a gasp escaping as awareness surged through my groggy mind. A struggle to form words ensued, my throat constricted, while I blinked repeatedly to clarify my surroundings. A figure loomed over me, shrouded in vagueness, but his voice pierced through with clarity.

"Techno A, you're awake," his deep, calm voice addressed me.

Desiring to answer, I could only manage a grunt as a prickly sensation coursed through my neck, signaling an injection. The liquid infiltrated my flesh, ice-cold and agonizing, my pulse accelerating in response. Once the needle was withdrawn, a throbbing headache emerged, swirling within my mind. Was this liquid's side effect?

Gradually, the spinning subsided, my sight sharpened, and I sat up to scrutinize the man before me. His appearance solidified—a fair complexion, glasses obscuring magenta eyes, black hair streaked with purple. Dressed like me, but with a purple overcoat and no mask.

He held up three sheets of paper. "Your results differ from others'," he announced, flipping through the pages. "Upperclass results, considering your role as the omnipotence here."

I offered a casual shrug. "Seems reasonable."

He indicated for me to remove my breathing mask and rise. Following his instructions, I stretched my joints, working to restore normal mobility. "What's the plan for those printed results?" I queried.

The man, Techno K, my assistant, dismissed my question, advancing toward the exit. Adjacent to the door, a paper slot caught his attention, where he slid the papers, obscuring them from view.

"Let me see that paper before you seal it," I interjected, rubbing my cheek in exasperation.

"Oh, I assumed you'd already gleaned the results from my mind," he stammered, embarrassment evident.

I gave him a pointed look. "Never mind, it's irrelevant now."

"Apologies, Techno A."

We exited the room side by side, navigating a corridor that grew quieter as we progressed toward the Main Control Lobby on the Ground Floor. "Are we off to the Motherboard Lab to track active malwares?" Techno K inquired.

"Negative," I replied curtly. "I'm sifting through messages from foreign Technos about Cyber A sightings."

"Ah, that wench," he muttered, ire coloring his tone.

"Hey," I chided, a light tap on his arm. "Mind your language."

"Sorry."

Approaching the elevator, I pressed the button adjacent to the closed metallic doors. The display above indicated its ascent from the Ground Floor. "So, how are the glasses treating you?" I asked Techno K as we waited.

"They're unchanged," he responded fondly. "And thanks for restoring my sight."

"It's a temporary fix," I reminded him. "Unless you want your vision gone again, ditch those glasses."

He chuckled. "Yeah, that blasted virus claimed my sight from the get-go."

My stern gaze met his, a memory resurfacing from his early days here. A moment of recklessness. What a fool.

The elevator emitted a DING!, arresting my thoughts as the doors parted. Stepping inside, I pressed the small "L" button. The doors sealed, the elevator initiated its ascent.

"Is scrutinizing the memo truly imperative?" Techno K's voice punctured the silence.

"As I said, it's a lookout for that malware," I retorted. "And why the fixation on the subject?"

His response emerged haltingly. "I guess... to relive those golden times?"

"That doesn't seem a valid motive," I noted, a tacit agreement settled between us, shrouding us in silence.

Abruptly, Techno K cleared his throat and spoke. "This may sound arbitrary, Techno A, but I'm grappling with something. You're adept at counseling, so how does one move on? I'm aware it's a clichéd human philosophy, but how do you turn the page and embrace the next chapter?"

Agreeing with him, though inwardly acknowledging the trite phrasing, I understood the need for guidance. Sighing, I ventured, "Techno K, the urge to move forward is palpable, but unresolved matters can compound suffering. Even if complete closure eludes you, strive to reach as close as possible."

His expression reflected earnestness as he absorbed my counsel. A soft "thank you" lingered before he averted his gaze.

----

Elevator doors parted, revealing the dimly illuminated lab adorned with a cyan-neon floor. I recalled its treacherous nature for humans, impervious to Microsparks like us. We were akin to holograms, a tangible form allowing existence in this hazardous environment.

Approaching the central control table, with Techno K in tow, I bent over, raising the microphone stem to my lips. "Computer, login." The colossal holographic screen materialized.

"Intellectual Computer Laboratory (ICL): Activated," a voice responded. "CODE?"

"A-Zero-Five-Zero."

"A-050, LOGGED IN SUCCESSFULLY."

"What's A-050?" Techno K asked.

Facing him, I elucidated. "Mother Computer's designation. Though further insight is withheld." The screen unveiled one missed call. "Computer, check the missed call."

"PROCESSING. CHECKING. PLEASE BE PATIENT." A loading icon appeared, succeeded by massive static.

"C-C-C-C-C-C!@#!/@&$$()!^@$$@&(@)$^^," the screen blared.

Reacting, I pressed 'AUTO-ERASE MALWARE' to no effect. "COMPUTER!" I bellowed into the microphone. "RESPOND!"

"N-^!@($^!N-@#!^&!^#/@N-^@@)$^@N-^@@($^NO&!#(#&^!/RE-RE-RE-RE-SPONS-SE!&@&#^^#"

Concocting a combination of inputs, the screen flashed ERROR. Techno K hastened to assist, yet our attempts to reboot yielded futility. "What's wrong?!" he vented, frustration evident. "Why isn't anything working?!"

"I suspect malware detection," I grimaced, my teeth clamped together. I pressed buttons relentlessly, but they resisted.

"What's our recourse?!" Techno K's voice rose, anxiety tinged in his tone. "We need to resolve this!"

It struck me—I alone wielded sufficient power to manipulate the system and eradicate the malware. Anchoring myself to the control panel, I channeled my energy, willing mastery. The strategy: enabling the system to obliterate the malware autonomously, restoring its consciousness.

Yet, as I delved deeper, searing agony engulfed my hands, spiraling through my entire being. A migraine erupted, blinding and throbbing, a cry escaping involuntarily.

The lab quaked violently, cyan-neon floor exploding in fragments, plunging us into darkness. Struggling, I fixed my attention on the screen, the sole luminous entity.

Abruptly, my vision blurred, consumed by darkness.