Chapter 5: Guests

With the morning sun brushing the sky in warm hues, a chorus of birdsong serenaded the air, a natural symphony in full bloom. Perched regally atop a grand tree, the melodious chirping of the birds wove a tapestry of sound, a harmonious offering to any attentive ear. In the distance, a solitary house stood, its upper-floor window open, swaying gently in the caress of a cool breeze. The curtains danced like whispers, casting fleeting shadows across the room. Inside, a girl lay ensconced in slumber, her breath rising and falling with the cadence of dreams.

Abruptly, a discordant sound pierced the tranquility, shattering the peace of the morning. The girl stirred, her arm flailing, a questing search for the source of the disturbance. At last, her hand found its mark on the small table beside her bed, and she silenced the intrusive noise with an irritable slap of the OFF button. With a weary groan, she roused herself, stretching her arms overhead.

"Saturday mornings... usually reserved for skateboarding," she muttered, her words a half-formed thought in the realm between dream and wakefulness.

The girl, known as Lane, moved through her morning routine like a somnambulist, her steps languid and unhurried. In front of the bathroom mirror, she studied her reflection, rubbing away the remnants of sleep from her eyes. A gentle click of her tongue, and the faucet yielded to her touch, splashing her face with the invigorating kiss of water.

Adorned in a simple white shirt and blue boxers, Lane settled in front of her computer, curious eyes scanning her Skype contacts. Serendipity smiled—her cherished companions were online. A quick summoning of a group call brought her trio of friends to the virtual table, each face materializing in succession.

"Hey, guys," Lane greeted, her voice laced with lingering drowsiness.

"Yo," Denise chimed in, her face adorned with a blue-shirted presence on the left of the screen.

Alice, clad in light grey, took her turn, appearing at the heart of the digital gathering. "Hey there."

"Ayo," Isabel's voice emerged from the depths of a dark grey hoodie, her visage claiming the screen's right corner.

Thus commenced a typical group call, replete with inconsequential chatter, a chorus of voices exchanging the mundane. Amid the banter, Lane multitasked, checking her inbox for news of her graded thesis. Her wandering gaze alighted upon an unopened email, its subject a stark "Urgent!"

Surprise rippled through her friends' voices, audible even through the digital divide.

"What the hell?" Alice's exclamation rang out. "Did you all receive this weird 'Urgent' email?"

"Looks like it arrived last night," Denise chimed in, reading the timestamp on the mysterious message.

"Viiiiiiirus?... No, not a virus," Isabel's retort came as she opened the enigmatic email.

Lane's brow furrowed as she read the contents, her contemplation spoken aloud. "Hmm, I doubt it's a kidnapper, stalker, or even the ghost from 'Unfriended,'" she pondered. "Maybe someone genuinely needs our help. Just the four of us."

With the intrigue piqued, the group succumbed to curiosity, clicking on the hyperlink within the email. Maps unfurled before them, revealing a pinpointed location—an abandoned laboratory. A red dot on the map blinked conspicuously close to Lane and Isabel's residence.

"A Computer Laboratory?" Denise queried.

"An abandoned one?" Alice speculated. "Perhaps someone's trapped there, and our emails were the only lifeline they could find?"

Shrugging off uncertainty, Isabel's voice chimed in. "Well, regardless, let's head there. They seem to be in need."

Lane's determination was palpable. "Alright then, let's gather outside that Computer Lab," she proposed. "Everyone onboard? Sounds like quite the adventure."