Chapter 16: Risen Power

-Lane-

[flashback]

"...so that's the gist of what the Technos shared with you?" I inquired.

The trio nodded in unison, confirming my understanding.

"It's almost chilling to think that these Malwares are essentially deranged psychopaths," Denise added, "And the fact that they're not even human just makes them even more terrifying."

"I totally agree," Isabel sighed, "It's like they're on a whole different level of power."

"Well, given all that information," Alice turned her attention to me, "What's the purpose of this meeting, Lane?"

All eyes turned to me, and I felt a flutter of nervousness as I revealed the microchip in my right hand.

"I've gathered you all here to discuss the weaknesses of those enemies," I explained, presenting the duplicate microchip. Their reactions ranged from surprise to curiosity.

"Is that the..." Isabel started to say before I cut her off.

"Techno A's microchip. It's a duplicate, and she's adjusted its features so it can be used by a human."

"I also asked Techno A if this chip, once activated by me, could be extended to all of you," I continued.

Everyone's curiosity only grew.

"The elite Technos derive their power from Techno A, and they've shared some of that power with us in order to fight the Malwares," Alice rubbed her chin in thought, "So if I understand correctly, once you activate this chip, the power might flow through you first and then spread to us, considering the four of us share a similar power."

"Wow," Isabel grinned, "That actually makes sense."

"It does," I nodded, examining the chip in my hand, "But Techno A wasn't entirely certain if it would work the same way for all of you simultaneously."

"We don't have a definite answer yet," Denise added, acknowledging the uncertainty, "Do you have a plan, Lane? A new strategy?"

"My plan revolves around us luring the Malwares into overconfidence," I declared. Isabel and Denise exchanged puzzled glances.

"Smart move," Alice chimed in.

"What do you mean?" Denise asked.

"These Malwares seem to thrive on inflicting pain," Alice explained, "That's why they enjoy tormenting the Technos before killing them. It feeds their desire for power, inflating their pride."

"So," Isabel summed up, "we'll let them believe they're in control, taunting us and thinking they're invincible. Then we strike when the time is right."

"And," Denise added excitedly, "we'll tease them by making them chase us or thwart our attacks. Once they're utterly absorbed in their sense of power, Lane can activate the microchip and we'll fight back."

We all nodded in agreement to each other's contributions and ideas. Then Alice raised an important question, "So, Lane, do you believe this strategy will lead us to victory?"

I gave a determined nod, "Remember, we need to stroke their egos and hold back our assaults until the right moment."

With that, our plan was set.

Reaching out through telepathy to Techno A, I transmitted my thoughts, 'Techno A, we're done discussing. You can bring us back now.'

----