Chapter 40

My head was spinning. I've waited 429 hours and my dad still isn't home. Mommy said he wasn't gonna come home. But he had to. We weren't done playing hide and seek!

Mommy sleeps a lot. She doesn't play with me like Dad does. She doesn't make me a grilled cheese with the crusts cut off either. 

She's different than Dad.

I miss Dad.

 *******************************

"Shhhh, calm down," Cole said, tightening his grip on me.

I didn't get to see his reaction because he pulled me closer to him, his hand resting on the back of my head.

He was almost rocking me back and forth, almost cradling me in his arms.

He hummed lightly as I grasped at his shirt. Why was this affecting me so much? My father hasn't been in my life since I was very young. I didn't know him.

My breathing had calmed down and my head was pounding. Cole's hand was running up and down my back.

"She has been watching him for years and she never told me," I mumbled. 

Cole again, stayed silent as I pieced the information together in my head, mumbling out phrases, laying back on his chest.

"I'm sorry," He replied after I had finished. He had me in between his legs, leaning on his chest. His hand was tossing through my hair, the other on my thigh.

"I'm so frustrated. And drained," I said again, cuddling into him slightly. The crying did help. I felt like some of the weight had lifted from my shoulders, but some felt like it had moved deeper. Into my chest. My heart.

"Do you want to do something? Have little time? Do something to take your mind off of it?" Cole asked. 

"I'm not in the little mood," I sighed, turning over and moving out of Cole's lap.

"Do you want to take a shower? Maybe change?" Cole asks. I shake my head.

"I don't want to hold up the bathroom. Your siblings might need it," I respond, laying on Cole's pillow. It smelled like him. It smelled good.

That reminded me, I needed to steal some of his cologne again.

"No one is home, baby. No one really ever is. My parents work a lot and my siblings like to hang out with their friends more than me. The only one home is Amy, I think. Josh might be home, but I thought he was taking Ezra and Dominic to a birthday party at the roller rink downtown," he paused, "plus we have more than one bathroom."

I sighed and turned to face him. he was laying next to me now, a soft smile framing his lips.

"You're not gonna give up on this, huh?" I ask.

Cole runs his thumb against my puffy, red cheek and kissed me gently, "Nope."

Grumbling, I got up and walked to Cole's closet, taking what I wanted and walking down the hall to the bathroom. Cole followed.

"What do you think you're doing?" I ask. Cole enters the bathroom behind me and closes the door.

"Don't worry, I won't join. I just wanna stay with you," he said innocently. I laughed at the faux purity and took off my shirt.