Chapter 25

Trigger Warning. 

"You're just a self-obsessed slut," Evan said. His cheeks were flushed red and his fists were clenched at his sides. I was hiding behind Chase as they yelled. At me. At each other. My ears were ringing and I couldn't focus.

"She caused my best friend deep-set depression! He looked empty inside! These stupid accusations! Do you think we didn't see those self-harm scars? The ones on your shoulders?" he took a step toward me and I stumbled back, on the verge of tears.

"You're trying to get everyone's attention and that needs to stop! Just stop lying before you hurt someone else! That's all you do! You hurt all of us by making him leave. He could have committed suicide, Isabella! He still might! If he does, it's your goddamn fault!" he screamed. I stood up and let the tears slide down my hot cheeks.

"It would not be my fault," I muttered, during away and running through the hall. I ran to the parking lot and threw my backpack to the ground.

I said differently, but I knew deep inside he was right. This had to be my fault. What he turned into. The stress I put on him.

That was the say I swore to never fall in love again.

***************

"I don't think pulling an all-nighter is going to help either of us, Isabella," Cole said as I pushed the gargantuan cart down the paint aisle at Lowes. 

"Probably not, but I've learned something throughout my years of living on this earth. Erasing stress is hard, and sort of impossible," I handed him a few paint swatches, "but covering it temporarily can help. Not perminately. Just temporarily. Covering things up can help you and damage you. You just have to get the balance right," I handed him a few more before the responded.

"Do you... do this often?" he asks quietly.

I sigh, "do you want the honest answer or the good one?"

to that, we both chuckled lightly.

Cole ended up picking a dark gray shade of paint. We also got some wallpaper that looks and feels a little bit like white bricks to create an accent wall.

the paint said it was one-coat and would dry in six hours. I looked at my clock.

"If we get back soon, it could dry by midnight. Then we can start setting up the rest of the room," I say, walking down other aisles. They had to mix our paint.

I loaded the cart with dark fixtures and added some DIY black bookshelves.

"Oooo look at this!" I point to a simple metal loft with a small mattress. We were going to use the bed already inside the room, but I liked this.

"We can get this too. And one of those small movie projectors! I say excitedly, "we can watch movies in it!"

Cole laughed but grabbed my hands., "I know you want to create this with me, but I'm going to need you to take a breath, okay?"

I smiled and my cheeks began to redden.

"I'm sorry. I'm just excited. Do you want to get some new clothes to keep over as well?" I asked as he moved the large metal rack into our cart. Sweet God thank you for giving him muscles.

"Sure. But let's get back soon so we can start painting," he remarked, grabbing the cart from me. I pouted, sticking out my lower lip.

"Come on, Bee," he chuckled and I followed him.

We ended up going to Walmart for a while, picking up a few random pieces of clothing, and maybe a few candy bars and energy drinks, before driving home again.