Chapter 27

I tried to get rid of them. He left so many hoodies and T-shirts. In the beginning, I couldn't even bear to stop wearing them. 

But once I did, I got rid of all of them at once. I dropped them off at the nearest goodwill.

"These are all men's T-shirts and hoodies," I said, handing the employee the box. She opened it and sifted through it for a moment.

"They look like they are in a moderate quality. Thank you for your donation," she hurriedly tossed the box under the counter.

I thought I'd feel better, letting them go. But my heart seemed to finally split in two. He was gone.

Why was I so upset?

"Miss?" The employee asked. I snapped back into reality.

"Have a nice day," I mutter out before rushing back to my car. I got in and started the engine, letting the music from the radio blast my thoughts away like a battering ram.

********************

I grit my teeth and looked at my lap. Of course, no introductions were needed. With a brief greeting, they were already sitting down at the dinner table. My dinner table. That I ate my meals at.

She could have told me. Is it that hard to warn me? Sneakily I look at my phone. SOomany missed notifications. I guess she did warn me. I open my home screen to realize none of the messages were from her, but they were all from Atticus. He tried to warn me.

"I was expecting a little more enthusiasm from you, Isabella," My mother said, tucking the back of her dress under her as she sat down. Yes, because sitting at a table with your ex-boyfriend and his father, who she is currently dating is a thought that would cause me so much joy.

"Why?" I ask, grabbing my plate and serving myself some food.

"Well it's no secret you and Atticus were a thing a while back," she started, grabbing a spoon of her own, placing a neat pile of food on her pristine plate. I resisted the urge to glare at her. "I just thought you two might be able to reconnect as friends. You never have Chase over anymore Isabella," Atticus' father watched our stiff interaction. It was like I was the guest at my own home.

My home.

"You know nothing about my social life," I said with as little malice I could register, "I see Chase at school. Plus he's been busy with his own life," I say defensively. She never liked Chase. The only people she really liked were Lydia and Atticus. What a coincidence. 

"I know you have that new boyfriend," she says, putting a plate together for Atticus' father. I wanted to cuss him out in my head. Call him a baby. He's a grown man and he can get his own goddamn food!

But I mean, I'm baby so I guess I can't judge too much.

"Cole," I say with a bittersweet smile. Atticus looked at his lap for the entire encounter.

"To be honest I can't see that working out," she says, stabbing a bit of food with her fork. I clench the knife in my hand and resist the urge to stab my own hand.

"To be honest I can't see you two working out either," I spat, my toes clenching.

"Don't speak to your mother like that," Atticus' father said reprimandingly. I looked up at him. His hair was graying at the top. That ashy blonde color looked dull. He looked nothing like the time I first met him, "What has gotten into you? You've never acted this cold to me and my family before."