Chapter 5

"You're kidding," Lydia said, rubbing her forehead sarcastically, "you two are writing little love notes like children?"

I stuck my tongue out at her as I unfolded the neatly written note.

'Girlfriend of the Year award, signed Atticus'

"He made me a girlfriend of the year award!" I giggle, showing Lydia. She cracked a small smile and watched as I tore a similar piece of paper from a notebook.

'Boyfriend of the Century award signed your baby bee' I scribbled out. 

I folded the note and tossed it over to Atticus' desk with a thud. He unfolded the paper and read it quickly, turning to me with a look in his eyes that I could only describe as pure love. 

***********

"I'm so sorry" I curl into a ball with bubs, mortified, hiding my face, which was a burning red. Cole was silent for a while. I felt movement from the couch, and a shadow appeared in front of me. I used a blanket to cover up slightly.

"Bee, move the blanket please," he whisperers. I shake my head frantically and feel Cole gently grip the blanket, moving it to the side. I whimper and clutch myself tighter.

"You don't need to be embarrassed, little one," he rubs my leg and I flinch away.

"Bee? Are you okay?" he asks, "Do you want me to call Chase?" he asks. I shake my head and close my eyes tight.

"Bee, I'm serious. It's okay. It was an accident. Okay?" he asks. I can hear his smile but I merely whimper.

"Why are you scared?" he asks gently. I whimper again and look up just slightly.

"I had a bad daddy..." I whisper. His face contorts and he moves to the spot on the couch next to me instead of crouching in front of me.

"do you want to talk about it?" he asks, opening his arms slightly. I whine and shake my head.

Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face. I extended my arms to Cole and he lifted me with almost no effort, placing me in his arms.

"It's okay, little one, I'm here," he rocked me back and forth as I cried and whimpered. He shushed me gently and held me tight. I nuzzled into him and my tears slowly stopped, replaced by hiccuping.

"do you want me to get you some juice in a sippy?" he asks. I shake my head.

"No get up," I whine, my eyes still blurry with tears. He stands up with me in his arms and I squeal. Yes, I was relatively smaller, but I was still an adult.

He carried me to the kitchen and set me down on the counter, walking to the fridge and opening it. It took him a while to find the apple juice, but once he did he placed it on the counter next to me.

"Where are your sippies, baby girl?" he asks. I blush and sniffle.

Baby girl. Baby girl. Baby girl.  Baby girl. I love that.

"Dey are in my room. I has to hide dem. In my closet in a bin," I look down at my feet, dangling off of the counter. 

"I'll be right back to grab one for you." he quickly walked to my room, and as soon as he was gone, he came back with my favorite sippy. I only had two, not including the new ones that had to be washed. It had a red top with yellow spots on the clear sides.

Cole carefully poured some juice into the sippy and handed it to me. I sipped on it while he picked me up and returned to our spot on the couch.

"Are you calmed down yet?" he asks, setting me down between his legs. I clutch onto his T-shirt.