Chapter 16

"It's just important to me to wait, Atty," I sighed. Atticus sighed and scooted closer to me.

"I know but...It's been months. Don't you want to make me happy?" he asked. He was changing. I knew it. I could see it in his eyes. He was still that soft, sweet, loving boy I met a while ago, but I was seeing a side of him I didn't like.

"Not yet. And you know I love making you happy," I crawled onto his lap and kissed his cheek gently. He sighed and pulled me closer.

"I'm sorry. I'm just not used to going this long," he nuzzled his head into my neck. I felt my heart race and sighed internally. He wanted something I didn't. What if I just gave it to him anyway?

******

Attention all students!   the overhead system rang out, All after-School activities will be canceled due to the thunderstorms and flooding of the parking lot. Go home as you would a normal school day. Have a great weekend!

I sighed and leaned my head against my chair. I was starting to enjoy the musical practice. I wasn't very good at my lines, but Mr. G had been helping me during lunch with the music, some of which was too high for me to sustain.

The bell rang and I started walking toward my locker. Cole had taken me to school today, and Chase was going to take me home. I gathered my things and zipped up my backpack. I had things to do today.

"Hey, Ella," Cole came up beside me and leaned on the locker next to mine.

"Hey," I hugged him softly and rubbed his back. He chuckled and kissed my forehead.

"Call me later, okay?" he tapped my nose and I giggled.

"Actually, if the weather isn't too terrible," I made puppy-dog eyes at him, "can you come over later? Pleassseeeee!" I begged. Cole sighed and looked at the ceiling briefly.

"Fine. After dinner, I can come over. Is that okay with you?" he asked. I nodded and squeezed him.

"I'll see you later, baby," Cole leaned down and kissed my cheek gently. I caught his lips and he pulled me close to him.

I pulled away before we were given detention for PDA and walked to find Chase. He was waiting for me at his locker, texting furiously on his phone.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask. Chase sighs and puts his phone away.

"No one," he said, shifting his bag on his back. I knew immediately he was lying but didn't press the issue.

"I know you are supposed to take me home, but can we make a quick stop first?" I ask. 

"Sure. As long as we don't take too long. My mom wants me to make supper tonight," he gently pushes me forward and I start walking.

We get in the car and I instruct Chase on where to go. I grabbed the cash this morning and slipped it into my wallet. It was crazy to think I had that much money on me. 

We pulled up to the shop and I got out of the car, taking my wallet with me.

"Hey, little lady," Simon called from the desk. I smiled shyly and handed him the rest of the money to pay off the guitar. I had been giving him money in increments as we had discussed. And Simon was very kind about everything. He even included a free used case with the guitar. He said he hadn't seen the dedication I had in a long time.

Walking out of that shop had me feeling all sorts of empowered I put the guitar in the back seat and climbed back in the front.

"So why did you buy this for him again?" Chase asks, putting the car in drive. I shrug and glance a the guitar crammed in the back seat of his truck, smiling.