↺ 002 : dating apps & anon bots

I PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE MINDED if CJ had just ignored my stranger friend, but CJ being CJ did not know how to "ignore" things

I PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE MINDED if CJ had just ignored my stranger friend, but CJ being CJ did not know how to "ignore" things. She had a long road to mastering the art of letting things go, and I didn't have the patience to teach her myself.

"Who was that?" she asked, a hand on the chair, her eyes on him. I didn't care that she was interested, I just wanted my honey biscuits.

"A guy."

Her eyes snapped to me as she lowered herself into the empty chair. "Do we know him? Is he ... a project partner or ... a friend of a friend, perhaps?"

"No, no, and no." I pretended to think it over. "Well, he could be a friend of a friend, but we don't have many friends around here, do we?"

CJ waved her hand in front her face. "What do you mean 'we don't have many friends?' We've got plenty of friends." She paused to think, pulling out a paper bag from her handbag as she did so. "There's Carter from Phi Kappa, and ... and um, that girl. The one with the really yellow hair."

It took me a minute to remember who she was referring to. Piper Eaton and Carter Lee were not friends with us. They were not friends with each other. They were just people who were thrown into a situation, and voila! Acquaintances! But who was I to state claims when I barely knew anything about their personal lives?

"Piper?"

"Her name is Piper?" CJ asked, incredulous. "Yikes. No wonder she's so angry all the time."

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes, I reached out and grabbed the paper bag from across the table. My roommate had been so kind as to throw in an extra triangle of toast-which I had to appreciate. All that bickering and brainstorming had left me completely famished.

"I don't think her name has anything to do with her anger. She was probably just really peeved that day."

"Way to make excuses for someone who probably can't even remember your name."

You didn't remember her name either.

"Anyway, what are we working on?"

"A report on skin diseases. Pemphigus vulgaris, courtesy of my random library partner." I nudged the laptop closer to her and bit into a golden brown square of heaven, butter, and bread. "Can you work with that?"

CJ arched a brow like I'd asked the most incredulous question. I bit into my toast again in an attempt to hide my budding grin. Her fingers glided over the keyboard with a kind of grace I could only hope to muster, only pausing when she needed to ask me a question. I didn't think CJ knew anything about skin tissues.

"Speaking of our friends-Carter in particular," she began, eyes flitting from the screen in front of her to my own, "did you know he launched a new app?"