↺ 024 : cellphones & good-for-nothing computers

BEING BACK ON CAMPUS WAS refreshing, despite the fact that it was somewhat still empty

BEING BACK ON CAMPUS WAS refreshing, despite the fact that it was somewhat still empty. On the plus side, there were bound to be a few parties this week-which I wouldn't have the chance to attend thanks to Talia and our project (not that I wanted to)-so hopefully I could land myself a free cup or two.

"You think we're gonna have to work tomorrow?" I asked, using a hand to shield my eyes from the sun's harsh rays. Ugh, April. I tossed my bag over my shoulder and strapped it in place.

"Not sure," answered Nash with a slight shrug, "I'll ask Dina."

"Oh! Ask em how the play went." Nash nodded. "And, uh, I'll ... call you later. Or maybe we could, I don't know, do something later? Or ..." I took a deep breath. This was fucking hard. For the first time ever, Leah was wrong about something. Sex was a complicating factor, and it'd done its job of complicating a simple friendship. "Do you ... Do you think last night was a mistake?"

His eyebrows rose. "A mistake?"

"Not that I think it was, I just, I don't know, Odin." Sigh. "I've never been with anyone besides August, right? I don't know if my emotions are being altered due to the physical contact."

Nash did the most wicked thing imaginable. He laughed. At me.

"You are the worst."

"And you are hilarious." He leaned back, shrugged a little. Nonchalant fucker. "I may be a little off on this, but I think you might have a thing for me."

I crossed my arms over my chest, readying myself for a vehement protest, the unwelcome words festering in my head. Huh. Maybe I do. "I do not. It's science. Physical intimacy fucks with people's heads. That's it, nothing more." Nothing more.

He squinted those light brown eyes of his. "Maybe, but I'm not wrong."

"Go home, Odin. I have a busy day ahead, and you need to get some rest."

• • •

TALIA WAS BACK ON CAMPUS as well, and holy fucking fuck, did that annoy me in every way possible. She'd asked me to meet her at the library so we could discuss our project, but I'd been at the library for twenty minutes and she still hadn't shown up. I tried not to think about the fact that I was the only student in the library as I typed away on my laptop. A study on Cognitive Function and Its Connection to Human Behaviour had my unbridled attention.

That was what my idea centered on, anyway.

What started out as basic questions-like, how come I could control the movement of my arms without thinking, but couldn't will my arms to move-took a turn I wasn't quite expecting. It was Talia's fault for standing me up. But maybe this sudden deviation didn't need to be a bad thing.

According to a different hyperlinked study, love-in the regular sense of the word-was a cognitive function. A chemical reaction. So, it was science. An eclipse of the brain, ergo, science. Boy, was I going to make Nash eat his words.