↺ 009 : nagging mothers & angry best friends

MY MOTHER WAS CALLING ME

MY MOTHER WAS CALLING ME. My mother never called me. Tentatively, I brought the phone up to my ear, debating whether or not to hold it close. I didn't know what kind of mood she was in or what she wanted to talk about, so I settled for speakerphone just in case she was in a yelling mood.

She had every right to be. I hadn't called her in eons. Speaking of which, I hadn't called anyone since I got to ASU.

"Lenny, darling, I have wonderful news!" chimed my mother. In the background I could hear the sound of eggs being beaten.

"No offence, Mom, but usually when you have wonderful news, it's really never that wonderful." I put it off speakerphone and pressed the phone to my ear, wedging it between my ear and shoulder.

My mother snorted. "Oh, I can assure you, Miss Harlow, this is very wonderful news."

I rolled my eyes and slapped my biology textbook shut. "All right, all right, fine. Hit me with this apparently wonderful news," I said. "I haven't got all day."

"You never call home, Lenny. You'd better have all day." She cleared her throat. "Anyway, your father and I have managed to solve that little problem your sister told you about-"

"That is good news, Mom. Not particularly wonderful, but good."

She sighed. I pictured her with the phone pressed to her ear, a hand on her temple, her up jutted out. A grin spread across my lips.

"Lenny, darling, let me finish, okay? If you wanted to talk to me, you should've called."

"I know."

I heard her sigh again. "Anyway, your dad got a promotion, which is always good news, and business has really picked up for me, but that's all side stories." She hesitated. I held my breath. "Leah's coming home this spring. She's bringing that boyfriend of hers to meet us. You have to be there-she insists on it. Although I don't think she's spoken to you about it?"

"No. She hasn't."

Mom sighed again. "Do you two ever even talk?"

"We text-"

"Lenore!"

"What? I'm not the only one involved here. She deserves to be held accountable, too," I argued.

"Lenny, she has a job. You can't expect her to constantly check in. And even with that, I bet she's doing a much better job at it than you are. Leah went to college, too, you know. She made sure to let us know she was safe, and alive."

I let out a breath just as CJ walked in. "Mom, I'm sorry, okay? I'm fine. I'm safe. I'm alive. You know that now. I do talk to Leah, but you have to understand that I have a busy schedule. I have classes I'm barely keeping up with. I ... I have a job. I have responsibilities, priorities-"