↺ 018 : road trips & warning labels

THINGS WERE STARTING TO FALL into place, and I didn't mean that in a good way

THINGS WERE STARTING TO FALL into place, and I didn't mean that in a good way. For starters, Nash and I-as well as whatever was left of the student population-were leaving today, and Talia and I had still not agreed on a topic for our project. So, like any other good scientist would do, I decided to go for the gold with my idea, while waiting for her to give me a go ahead. And if for some reason we weren't using my very brilliant topic, I'd still do my research. No knowledge is lost, and all that.

"For some reason, I thought you'd at least bring a bag," said the man of the hour himself. Today he was not driving a sports utility vehicle, but a small Mercedes which I thought was rather fitting for the occasion.

I lifted my carry-on bag for him to see. "I did bring a bag."

He crossed his arms and arched a brow. "What's in it?"

"We are going to be on the road for at least four hours, Nash. I'm bound to get hungry."

Nash barked a laugh. I didn't think it was funny, and just for that, I decided I wasn't going to share.

Two days ago he'd dropped a mini bomb on me in the most casual way imaginable. In fact, it was so casual that I almost gave it no thought. Keyword being almost. Since then I'd had about a day to think about it, and if I was being honest, all that thinking only made things more complicated. Piper said I was self absorbed, sat me down in a chair and proceeded to straighten and then curl my hair. The session took roughly seven hours.

I was too emotionally detached to deal with all this stress. One thing was for certain, though; I needed to talk to Leah about it.

"I take it you won't be coming with us to see the play?"

My head whipped around at the sound of Dina's voice. E might've been ... heavy, but e was very light on eir feet. "Us?"

"Terrence and me."

Of course. "I thought you said your sibling would want the last ticket," I said. I dropped my bag into the passengers seat through an open window. "Plus, it's a long drive from home."

Dina nodded, eir thick black hair bouncing of eir round shoulders. "They said they didn't want to be a third wheel," e said, "and I get it. I could probably sell the ticket and make a few dollars on it." E tried to look over my shoulder. "You two are driving together?"

I let out a breath. "Yeah, he lives closeby."

E gave me a scrutinizing look. "Alright. Drive safe. I look forward to getting to know you better after the break." E turned to leave. "And to working with you."

I waved eir off until the sound of a horn pierced through the air. Time to leave. Finally. I could already taste my mother's cooking.

Nash rolled up the windows and turned on the air conditioning. Let the records show that he did not put on a buffer, and that he therefore expected me to have a conversation with him. That just wouldn't work. No gracias.