↺ 005 : bus rides & kimchee fried rice

IN THE SPAN OF ONE month, I'd had more "hallucinations" featuring August than the past fifteen combined, and I didn't get it

IN THE SPAN OF ONE month, I'd had more "hallucinations" featuring August than the past fifteen combined, and I didn't get it. I didn't get why. We were through. It was mutual. So why was I so hung up on the memory of him all of a sudden?

Next to me, the girl I met in Anatomy class last month scribbled hurriedly in a notebook, her face obscured by a curtain of thick black braids. Like her, I was focused on taking notes. Unlike her, I wasn't able to take notes. I couldn't get the buzzing in my head to stop.

"Nice drawing," she said, successfully grabbing my attention. I looked over at her very neat-and unfortunately, accurate-sketch of the human skeleton surrounded by hastily scribbled notes. "But it doesn't look very ... bony."

I turned back to my own notebook. August's hair looked as messy as it could possibly ever be, courtesy of my very amazing drawing skills. But damn, I'd gotten carried away again, and this girl was here to witness it.

"It's not supposed to. Look bony, I mean," I said rather breathlessly.

The girl lifted a shoulder. "Well, if you don't fare well enough in the medical field, you could always switch to Arts." She pushed her hair back. "I'm Atalia, by the way."

"Len-" A quiet-but loud enough for me to hear-beep cut me off. The screen of my phone lit up with a message from CJ.

CJ: updates??? stop leaving me hanging!
CJ: also, need your help ASAP!! sos dying :(

Me: in the middle of class rn. can it wait?

CJ: depends. do you want to plan my funeral?

Me: you're being dramatic, C

CJ: am not.
CJ: i need you.
CJ: please. have i ever asked for ... well, anything?

No, she in fact had not, which was weird, seeing as our relationship consisted mostly of asking and doing. I'd been the one doing the all the asking.

Me: is this a life or death situation?

CJ: Lenny!

Me: fine, I'll be there soon

Atalia-and a few nearby students-glanced at me as I haphazardly shoved my books into my tote bag. The former voiced her thoughts. "Is something wrong?"

I barely spared her a second glance. "I'm not sure."

She sucked in her bottom lip then let it go. "Do you need me to-"

"Copy extra notes? Thanks. I owe you plenty." I was on my feet, bag slung over my shoulder. "Coffee sometime?"

"Yeah, sure."

Even though I had no intention to run into her again, I still let myself smile at the thought of making an actual friend. Sure, "friend" was overdoing it a little bit-okay, a lot bit-but it didn't matter. And although she might've been the single most annoying human being I had ever encountered, she was pretty, and pretty sometimes meant nice.