↺ 013 : karaoke & iced fancy punch

SOUL HEXAGON-AS THE FLASHING neon sign read-was a reasonably sized building somewhere in the heart of the city, sandwiched between a record store(!!), and a sophisticated watering hole (Piper's words), also known as a pub

SOUL HEXAGON-AS THE FLASHING neon sign read-was a reasonably sized building somewhere in the heart of the city, sandwiched between a record store(!!), and a sophisticated watering hole (Piper's words), also known as a pub. The most glaring detail, though, was my excitement. And I guess everyone else's.

According to her, the pub opened up two years ago, but Soul Hexagon had been in existence since she was small, and they still weren't looking to expand. She said it made it feel more special, having just a single branch. I thought it was more of a tree than a branch, since there was only one Soul Hexagon in existence, but she looked so happy I had no choice but to keep my mouth shut.

One of Nash's friends had a car and let him use it for the night. I made a note to meet and thank said friend later, immediately coming to the realization that I barely knew anything about him. But then I thought, what does he know about me? And I felt better about myself.

"This place is fire," CJ whispered a little too loudly in my ear, causing me to wince. I couldn't exactly argue with her; it was fire. They had little tables scattered in the main area, a bar at the side, an elevated stage at the front, and a large screen on the opposite side of the room. Even though they didn't necessarily expand, they sure looked to have renovated or at least redecorated a few times.

"You can say that again," Carter muttered in passing. Somehow Piper managed to get him to tag along, too.

Piper led us to a table up front, gesturing at us with a heavily bangled hand. "This is where I usually sit." She plopped down in one of the steel chairs, her back to the stage, face flushed. "You guys are going to love it here." And with that she was back on her feet, on a set course for the stage. Or, well, behind it.

CJ and I shared a glance and burst out in a fit of giggles.

Either choosing to ignore us because our behaviour wasn't out of the ordinary, or because he didn't care enough not to, Carter asked, "So are you guys performing?"

Talia fixed her facemask over her nose. "I would, but I'm pretty sure I sound like a sick narwhal." She sniffled to further explain her point.

Carter leaned forward, propping his elbows on the table. "You sound fine, sick narwhal or not."

CJ made a show of plonking her purse on the table loudly enough to grab everyone's attention. "Well, I'm singing with Lenny, and Piper. I mean, we're out here, right? Let's have fun! Mix it up a little."

"Pink haired girl's right," said Sloan, her tinny voice barely audible.

"My name is CJ. See-Jay."

The shrieking of the speakers caused all six pairs of eyes to dart to the stage. The seats were quickly filling up, and a youngish man was testing the mic. A giddy buzz coursed through my veins. So far, my research had led me to believe a hormone was responsible, but I wasn't sure which one.