↺ 008 : pool boys & dying doggies

CJ DID IN FACT, NOT help me rectify it

In order to prove to (myself, mostly, as well as) The Stranger Boy that I was not avoiding Sweet Cube because of him, I decided to study there for the day instead of going to the library. The chances of running into someone (read: Colin) were higher since I was in what people would call a public place, but I didn't mind much. I'd killed whatever we could've had before it even started. If he saw me, he'd probably just ignore me.

Since I prided myself in being economical, I opted to kill two birds with one stone. But because I was nothing like the regular economical human, I sat at one of the round tables, nibbling on a honey biscuit and chattering away with Atalia, hence, killing about five birds with the same stone.

Talia, as she said I should call her, pushed two printing papers towards me and quirked up her lips. "Let's see what you know," she said in what sounded very much like a taunting voice. "You understand the evolution theory?"

I locked eyes with her and snatched the notes off the table, barely looking away to glance at them. It was starting to feel like this girl took every opportunity she had to insult me.

"Of course, I understand the evolution theory. Do I look like a middle schooler to you?"

She snorted and leaned back. "Lenny, I really don't think you want me to answer that." She shuffled through the papers scattered all over the table and handed me a bunch of them held together with a paper clip. "I made photocopies of the notes we got that day. They were a lot, so I figured, why not just make copies?"

I was taken aback, and it showed. "Oh. Thank you," I told her, cautiously reaching over to collect said notes. "How much did it cost to make copies?"

She flicked her wrist at me. "Nevermind that. Like I said, I wanted to do something nice."

While Talia returned to her notes, I busied myself with the worksheet she'd so helpfully given me, but mentally, I couldn't focus. My coming here was starting to seem to me like a waste of time. So what if I got valuable study time in? What good did that do if I couldn't even get the words to stay up in my brain where they belonged?

Things had not been going too well for me. On one hand, there was the new home situation I tried not to think too hard about. It worked good so far, since I wasn't home and therefore had no reason to care, but at the same time, I couldn't shake the little voice that kept nagging at me to do something about it.

On the other hand, I was probably failing my classes, and even better, CJ was mad at me. I had zero friends, and I hadn't had enough free time to sneak away to the pool recently. So, yeah. It'd all been piling up, and I was sick of the stress.

"We don't have to submit these, do we?" I asked. The worksheet was overflowing with smartass questions I could only ever dream of answering correctly. It wasn't that I was "stupid"-I remember sitting through several lessons on the topics before me, but the problem was recalling those lessons when necessary.