↺ 016 : birdwatching & friendly heart-to-hearts

COLIN LEFT ME A THREE-PAGE text message apologizing for his behaviour

COLIN LEFT ME A THREE-PAGE text message apologizing for his behaviour. If I didn't know any better, I'd let it slide. Good thing I did know better, because I really didn't feel comfortable conversing with a person who'd so rudely taken multiple digs at me. And for what it's worth, I didn't read the texts.

I realized soon enough that I had to, though, and that I had to give him the time of day. Of course, if Leah or pretty much anyone could hear my thoughts, they would say I didn't have to. A small part of believed that, but the thing was, I couldn't not try to talk to him. I was wired different, okay, yes, maybe; but it was a good different, in my opinion.

If Colin wanted to apologize and perhaps, change, I would not deny him that. Changing was honestly the best thing he could do. It was what I'd waited six months for August to do, but it'd been twenty-five months, and he still hadn't.

Not that I knew of.

"So, birdwatching?" Nash asked me. I had been lost in my head for the better part of the hour, and missed most of his question-most of the conversation, which I thought was weird.

I wiped down the counter with more force than necessary. "What about birdwatching?"

Nash sighed like he'd had enough of me. "Do you want to go birdwatching?"

Pausing my cleaning to take a peek at him, I answered, "Birdwatching. You want me to go birdwatching."

"No, I'm asking if you want to go birdwatching."

"Why would I want to go birdwatching?"

"Because the park is pretty?"

I squinted. "Was that a question?"

"Was what a question?"

With a scoff, I turned back to the counter. Dina burst through the back door with a huge grin on eir face. "People, people," she greeted rather loudly. Sweet Cube was empty-like, low-key, totally, actually, completely void of customers-but for some reason, all four of us were here. "I won tickets to see T.P.O.T.O.!"

"What's T.P.O.-what's that?"

"The Phantom of the Opera," Terrence answered with a sigh. He was seated in the café, five textbooks laid out in front of him. "Dina is obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera. E's made me see it about eight times this year."

"Well, why didn't you just say 'The Phantom of the Opera'?"

"Because I like it when the suspense builds up." E flicked eir wrist in my direction, shushing me. "Besides, it gave someone an opportunity to take a little break."

Nash carried a small plate of cinnamon rolls over to Terrence's table.

"Anyway, I won the draw, and now I have ... three tickets. Anyone interested?" Terrence parted his lips to speak, but Dina interrupted before he could get a word in. "You are coming with. Don't even try to get out of it."