↺ 020 : family reunions & buffets

IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO set the damn table, all because Keegan was born to be an ass

IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO set the damn table, all because Keegan was born to be an ass. Most people who were destined to be asses fought their fates, but not my brother. If anything, he revelled in his assy status. He lived for the assery.

The Harlow-Fisher-Mitchell clan was gathered around the dining table, the predicted overflow filling the seats in the living room, sans Keegan. Leah was off introducing her boyfriend to the entirety of my dad's brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, and cousins, and from the look on Lynx's face, he was in his element. Movie stars are the worst, I thought to myself as I scooped a dollop of rice pudding onto a serving plate.

"Lenore!" My somewhat distant cousin, Cali, slung an arm over my shoulder, a wide grin on her face. "Heard you went away to college. You still with that boyfriend of yours?"

One thing about dating the same person for years on end was having that person eventually attend family functions. So, of course, August had come to one of these, introduced himself as my then boyfriend and future partner-which I didn't quite agree with even then-so most of them were aware of his existence.

"First of all, it's Lenny, and I'm happily single, thanks for asking." I spooned a bit of the pudding into my mouth. "What about you?"

She flashed her left hand in front of my face. "Got engaged last month. Your brother still causing trouble?"

"Girl, you don't know the half of it."

A force shoved me forward so hard that I nearly tipped the entire Tupperware of rice pudding over. That force was my sister, Leah, and her almost carbon copy, Jasmin. We called her Jaz.

"Lenny, your sister's boyfriend is so hot. I could stare at that ass for hours," Jaz drawled. "I'm so looking him up later. What'd you say his name was, again?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Oh my God, I know!" squealed Leah. She had her arms around my waist, attempting to sway my hips to the sound of the music only she could hear. "Sexiest bod I ever saw. Just look up Lynx Alsephina. His social media should pop up."

I rolled my eyes again.

Cali had sauntered off, probably to announce to the rest of the family that she'd gotten engaged. I was happy for her. Totally downright elated at the news. But there was something else. Some strange emotion that tugged at my insides. It didn't make any sense to me. The brain was in charge of keeping things in order, and as far as I knew, I was as sane and as sober as they come.

Maybe it had to with all the ... merriness. Jaz had moved in with her girlfriend four months ago. Good for them, I thought. Leah had Lynx, who somehow seemed to put up with her cheeriness and spontaneity, though their relationship seemed to me like it still needed a little work. And then there was Cali. She was engaged. If this was a year ago, I would no doubt have gotten near blackout wasted, done something incredibly idiotic-after all, August hadn't left for Germany yet-and regretted it the morning after.