↺ 029 : speculations & confessions of confessions

MY SHIFT HAD JUST ENDED, and I was itching to get home

MY SHIFT HAD JUST ENDED, and I was itching to get home. Unfortunately for my plans, I had other plans. And from what I could see, so did Nash.

As I undid the knot on my apron, I watched him wipe down tables. What an odd coincidence that we had a shared shift, and even better, it was the final one of the day.

"Are you doing anything tonight?" I asked him, perched on the counter with my head propped up on my hand in all my exhausted glory.

Nash refolded the wet napkin, barely looking away from his task. "That depends. Do you have plans?"

"Your plans depend on whether or not I have plans?"

"Yes." He pushed in a chair, the napkin dripping in his hand. "I probably should've asked earlier. I want us to do something together." He began wiping down a different table, one that he'd cleaned about five minutes ago. I was starting to think he just didn't want to look at me.

"I don't have anything planned for tonight, but I was really looking forward to getting an early night's rest." I was as dead inside as I was on the outside, and it was all Talia, Irene, and Dr. Chan's fault. I was duly overworked for a nineteen year old, and way underpaid.

I didn't think my salary even measured up to minimum wage.

"My apartment's free until eleven."

"I'm really ... not in the mood ..."

"My bed's way more comfortable than yours."

Can't argue with that. "But it's farther away."

"I have snacks."

"I'm full."

Nash let out a defeated sigh and mopped up the puddle of water that'd come from the napkin. "I want you to come home with me."

"And on any other day, I would love to. But I am fucking beat."

Today had been so damn hectic, right from the start. First of all, CJ woke me up at four in the morning. Four. And for what? She counted her pretzel stash and found it a pack short. She almost made me go out and buy it back, at four in the morning. The. Nerve.

I couldn't fall back asleep, so I switched on my phone. Big mistake. Turns out Talia had called me several times that night because she had struck a bout of inspiration, was unable to sleep, and had taken to rewriting her entire report. As her partner, we needed to be on similar pages, so I had to work on mine, even though it was already complete, and needed zero work done.

Maybe I wasn't such a terrible student after all.

After that, I had a class in radiology at eight, so I headed straight there with close to no breakfast. I'd managed to score yet another pack of pretzels from CJ's stash. She was no doubt going to kill me later, but at least I wouldn't die from hunger.