25. Winston

song; When the party's over - Billie Eilish

As the intense sun blazed down on the group, Thomas woke up to the sound of rustling. Looking over he saw a black crow pecking at one of their bags, for the food. "Hey, hey!" Thomas exclaimed to the animal. "Hey! Get out of here!" he said as he shewed the bird away.

Due to the commotion the group all woke up with a groan. His eyes fluttering open Newt was met with the sight of the top of Athena's head. Hearing her faint snores he chuckled at her drowsiness, moving slightly so he could look at her more he looked in awe at the peaceful look on her freckle filled face.

"Athena, love." he whispered softly into her ear, causing her to groan and hide her face into his neck more. "You gotta get up." he said, trying not to laugh.

"Five more minutes" she mumbled into his neck.

Shaking his head at her childishness he looked out to where Thomas was standing, "Are they gone?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think we're safe for now." Thomas replied.

Which caused Athena to breath out an enthusiastic 'yay' into Newts neck.

"Okay, we should keep moving." he said as he picked up his bag.

"Not yay." she replied, still cuddling into her boyfriend's neck.

"Let's pack it up." Thomas announced only to be met with the yawn of the Gladers. "Aris, come on." he said to the still sleeping boy. "Fry, Winston let's go. Newt, I'll let you deal with her." he said gesturing to the once again asleep Athena.

"Come on, you." he said as he pulled Athena away from him, getting a groan in retaliation, but still complied.

Hearing a groan of pain behind them, they all turned to see Winston struggling to move. "Hey, man." Frypan said as he offered out his hand to help Winston up. "You ok?" to which he only nodded and grabbed his hand.

-------------------------

Starting to make their way out of the broken building they were met with a city. An abandoned city. A ruptured city.

Making their way through they all looked around acknowledging the destruction around them. "What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan asked looking up at one of the skyscrapers.

"I don't know" Newt answered, "It doesn't look like anyone' been here for a long time."

"The woman did say the disease brought destruction." Athena answered looking at the same building of many.

"I hope the whole world's not like this." Aris imputed.

Hearing an engine in the distance Thomas spoke up, "Woah, woah, hang on, stop." Thomas said, causing the group to be silent. "Do you hear that?"

As it came closer Athena looked towards Thomas, "Aircraft" she confirmed causing the group to look at her.

"Get down!" Thomas commanded. "Everybody, hide! Hide! Hide!" he said as he ran underneath some cement walls. "Get in here!"

Diving in the group became hidden as the aircraft's flew over them, "Oh shit," Newt breathed out, as they all looked at it.

"They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" Minho asked.

"Why would they. In their eyes we're their only hope." Athena pointed out bitterly as she got out from under the wall.

--------------------------------

Now out of the city, climbing up a steep sand dune Athena looked behind her to see Winston trailing behind quite a bit. Turning round she walked up to her friend, she did utter a word only grabbed his arm and pulled it over her shoulder and helped him up the hill.