Unfinished Business (WhitRiah)

Whitney nods at the appropriate times to give the impression that she's listening to her friend. But the truth is she's only half-tuned in. To be fair, she is at a party, where it's easy to get distracted.

It's when Toni calls her nickname that she genuinely hears her.

"You didn't hear one thing I said, did you?" the pixie-haired beauty says, putting Whitney on the spot.

"No, I hear you, babe!" Whitney apologetically intertwines her hands with Toni's. "It's Mariah." She rolls her eyes before jutting her chin and glaring across the room towards the open kitchen.

While Whitney was glad to see her friends, it's been rough to see the woman in question cozied up with someone else.

"Here we go again," Toni replies, chuckling and sharing her amusement with Janet.

"Okay, I am not about be that friend. No ma'am." Whitney subtly moves her head.

Janet is humored this time. "Which friend?"

"The one who's friends bitch about her—or him—constantly taking that toxic person back. I won't wear that hat. I refuse."

"Nip, you know we love you. And we've all been there." Toni rubs Whitney's back.

"Yeah, but don't let her ruin your night," Janet says.

Whitney stares at her. "You know, you're right."

Janet smiles her glorious smile.

Someone calls Toni's name and she excuses herself. It turns out to be Ellen, Mariah's blonde, blue-eyed date. Whitney could gag right now. She takes Janet's hand and steers right past them. Mariah notices.

"She's so funny, isn't she, Toni?" Mariah says loudly. She's referring to Ellen but her eyes on Whitney's retreating frame.

"Oh yeah, one of the funniest women I know."

"Did you hear that shit? She used to say that about me!" Whitney vents to Janet when they reach outdoors. Luckily, they just missed the rain.

"And she wanted you to hear it too," Janet adds, earning an emphatic reaction from Whitney.

"That part!"

"She's trying to rile you up. Don't give her the satisfaction."

A brooding Whitney manages to bring herself to a calm as she grazes the wet stems and flowers. "You know what, I have an idea."

"What is it?"

Whitney's lips slowly form a smirk. "You trust me, baby?"

Janet grins, knowing where this is going.

Seconds later, they return indoors, but there's an area of the house where folks are watching TV.

Whitney and Janet find a spot on one of the sectionals. Whitney eases onto the furniture, Janet sitting in between her legs.

Meanwhile, Mariah walks in the den, her ears and cheeks flushing in color at the sight of the intimacy between the two. Her knuckles form a fist and turn even paler. Ellen has to ask if she's alright. As she slides an arm around her waist, she manages to smile and stroke Ellen's chest, turning the white woman red.

"I'm good, my darling, thank you," she says loudly again.

Whitney, who's been whispering in Janet's ear, takes notice of Mariah. Her lips stop moving. Mariah looks back, doing her best stoic expression.

An oblivious Ellen smiles at Whitney, but she's too busy watching Mariah. Not that she would have smiled back.

"Let's get outta here," Mariah suggests to her companion. Ellen agrees but excuses herself to the bathroom. Mariah's eyes narrow as she watches Whitney toss her head back and laugh at something Janet shares with her.