Changes (Savannah and Bernadine)

Waiting to Exhale inspired; Whitney as Savannah and Angela Bassett as Bernadine

It's a Spring evening and Savannah Jackson arrives at her close friend Bernadine's new house. It's modest compared to the mansion she previously resided. But there have been major changes in Bernadine's life.

Savannah smiles when Bernadine or "Bernie" answers the door. She pulls her newly single friend into a warm embrace with one arm. "Hey girl, it's so good to see you." She's had quite a day, mainly the conversation she had earlier with her mother. "I got some stuff for the kids."

When Bernadine lets her in, Savannah looks around. Her smile drops when she notices there's an old home-made video playing on the TV of Bernadine and her soon-to-be ex-husband.

"They're gonna love this." Bernadine grins, having peeked at the bag containing toys from Savannah. "Autumn! Deon! Aunt Vannah has something for you."

Two children, two years apart, bound into the open kitchen area.

"Hi Aunt Vannah," the siblings say in unison, each hugging her.

Savannah's joyful expression returns when they greet her, and especially when they unveil their gifts with excitement. They each have a super-soaker, which is just in time for next season, and slime kits.

"Thank you, Aunt Vannah!" they chorus and embrace her again.

"Oh, you're so welcome. Try not to drive your mommy too crazy, though, okay?"

Everyone laughs. Then, it's just Savannah and Bernadine again, who drink wine.

"Thanks again, Vannah," says Bernadine.

"Yeah, no problem."

Bernadine notices her friend's mood has shifted compared to when she first showed up.

"Nice place, by the way," Savannah says.

"It feels like home. Unlike that other hell hole."

Savannah looks right at her, seeing her derision clear as day.

"Bernie, why are you watching that?" She doesn't bother to specify.

Bernadine slants her lips to the side in confusion. "Watching what?" Then she gazes around until she remembers her TV is on and what it's displaying. "Oh." She closes her eyes and sighs.

"Did the kids want to see it?" Savannah asks softly.

"No. That's what's funny." Bernadine releases a humorless chuckle before sipping her drink. "I did. It will be the last time anyone ever sees it."

There's something cryptic about her statement, but who can blame her? Bernadine is a woman scorned, and as far as Savannah is concerned, she deserves redemption. She deserves love.

"It'll be okay," Savannah says, placing her hand on Bernadine's, who manages a smile. It's not hard for Bernadine to smile in the producer's presence. Their friendship, which began two years ago, has brought her much happiness. Bernadine has two other dear mutual friends that she and Savannah respectfully share a bond with. But these two have a connection that runs deeper.

"Thanks, babe. So enough about me. I want to hear about your day."

Savannah reclines her head some. "Girl, you don't even wanna know..." But of course Bernadine is interested. She attentively listens as Savannah explains and complains about her mother calling her at work. "My mother is so desperate for me to have a man she doesn't even care that he's married."

"Ugh."

"I'm like 'ma, it's not that serious.' But she's from a generation that will do anything to have and keep a man."