Easy (Renée Downer)

This is a request. If you don't know Renée Downer she's from a girl group called Flo. 

"Baby! What is this room?" Renée was a combination of amused and bewildered after entering the untidy space. Her glossed lips were ajar as she took in the neglected vicinity. Papers, clothes, and bottles littered the floor, not to mention the extra clothes strewn across a chair.

Renée skeptically searched for somewhere to place her designer bag before settling for the doorknob that belonged to a closet. Being that it was summertime, she didn't judge the ant she saw trailing on the wall. But it didn't help. "Peace out, little one," she said, pressing down on it with her finger. She flicked the dead insect into the garbage can. With the lid open, a putrid smell emerged, causing the petite young lady to gag. She immediately turned away, coughing incessantly, her eyes welling up in the process.

Gemma began to stir. She stretched and groaned before removing her sleeping mask. Who in the world was coughing up a lung? And why were they doing it in her room? Her eyes nearly bulged when she found the answer to her question. There stood the girl of her dreams in her room, apparently sick.

"Is this real? Am I dreaming?" Gemma thought aloud.

"Nope," Renée said, coughing again, and frowning.

"You have a cold?" Gemma, the taller of the two, asked, walking over to her.

Renée didn't answer right away. But she wore this little smirk that told Gemma she had something to say.

"What is it?" Gemma prodded softly.

"When's the last time you cleaned your room?"

Gemma blushed and stood awkwardly silent for a beat. Renée arched her freshly waxed eyebrow before laughing. The sound was a comfort to Gemma's embarrassment.

"It's been a while," she admitted. "But that's only because I never finish. I'm sorry about the mess. If I had known you were coming, it wouldn't look like this...at all." She headed for her door. "You can hang out in the living room or kitchen while I get ready."

Renée pouted at the fact that Gemma didn't give her a chance to say anything before she rushed off. But she was sure that Gemma was feeling uncomfortable about her seeing her room like this—as she should! Renée shook her head and went to the kitchen, going through one of the cabinets to retrieve two garbage bags. She also found plastic gloves, which would come in handy because she was not about to ruin her manicure.

Gemma could barely feel excited about Renée being here. Sure, she was glad to see her, but she wished she didn't surprise her. It was supposed to be a sweet gesture, but Gemma was clearly unready. There was no way she wanted her crush to see her room in this manner. She probably thought she was a slob. What if she was turned off and wanted to stop talking to her? What if she decided this would be the end of them talking? The fear caused an ache in Gemma's stomach.

After her hygiene routine was complete, Gemma knew she had to grab some clothes. In her haste to escape the humiliation she'd just endured, she forgot to also bring an outfit with her so she could change. She'd hope that Renée kept herself occupied in another part of her house but judging from the movement in her room, Renée was right there. The sound of plastic bags could be heard.

"Renée?" she called.

"Yeah."

"I, uh, need to get dressed."

"Okay, no problem," Renée said lightly in her British accent.

There was no more shifting. After a beat, Gemma unlocked the adjoining bathroom and stepped into her room. She was floored at how neat her room looked. The floor was actually visible. Renée, who stood off to the side, watched Gemma's reaction, mirth sliding along her visage. 

"Was Extreme Makeover here?" Gemma partially joked, earning a sweet laugh from her companion.

Renée released the broom in her hand, positioning it against the wall. "See the difference it makes when you throw or store things away? You should try it sometime."

Gemma smiled. "You didn't have to do this, at all."

"I mean, someone did!" When Renée said this she spoke in her version of an American accent that she modeled after social media.

They shared a laugh. Gemma stared at the other female, wishing to hold her. If only she were not wearing a towel. But she noticed the way Renée was checking her out, which made her happy she was clad in it.

"I'm gonna get dressed and then you're all mine," Gemma promised.

Renée poked her tongue to the side of her mouth. "Right." She turned towards the exit before stopping. "Are you too shy to change in front of me, babe?" When Gemma was caught off guard, she chuckled lowly. "I'll see you in a bit."

Gemma didn't understand how someone could be so cute and sexy at the same time, but that was Renée for you. She was one of those people. After getting dressed, Gemma left her room and found the part Nigerian and Jamaican beauty in the living room watching TV. She was on her phone, seemingly texting. Gemma felt self-conscious. The thoughts she had in the shower returned.

Renée beamed at Gemma's presence until she noticed her gloomy visage. "What's wrong?" She looked worried as Gemma delayed her response. "Talk to me, love." She patted the couch.

The American woman sat beside her and gazed at her intensely. "Be honest, do you still want anything to do with me?"

Renée furled her eyebrows. "Yes. Where did that come from?"

"I was just thinking." Gemma avoided her gaze. She could hear Renée trying to make sense of the topic at hand. When she made a small noise of recognition, she knew she most likely realized.

"Because of your room?" When Gemma nodded, she readjusted her position, moving closer to the other woman so their knees were touching. "Hey, your room was gross as eff, but you're human—an amazing one at that, so if you want to get rid of me, you'll have to try again, okay missy?"

Gemma cracked a smile. "Phew. I promise it doesn't always look like that. But thank you for not judging me. And believe me, I'm not trying to get rid of you at all. You're my dream girl, you know?" She softly caressed the other's cheek, her eyes filling with warmth when Renée's dimple surfaced.

"You see, you say sweet shit like that, and you expect me to leave?" Renée playfully raised her voice, tackling her.

Gemma's loud laughs were music to her ears. She managed to grab her tickling hands and held her against her body.

Renée relented, gladly cuddling against her. She released a big sigh. "I missed this so much, you have no idea, Gem."

"Same. How long are you in town for again?"

"Three days, but I was thinking you could come back with me to London?"

"Can I get back to you on that? I'm not sur—"

"Yeah, of course, no pressure. Let's just enjoy the time we have, yeah?"

Everything felt so easy. Gemma hoped this would last.