Sweet Tutor (WhitRiah)

Mariah Carey didn't know why she signed up for this. This meaning three part-time jobs. Sure, the money was nice. But she was realizing that juggling multiple positions was exhausting. She could see herself becoming burned out—just like her brother had cautioned. Thankfully, she didn't mind her work, especially not this particular job, although at times it seemed pointless.

She'd been tutoring Whitney Elizabeth, another freshman at Long Island High School, for a little over a month now. And while she got along with the New York transplant, she often felt time was being wasted. Whitney didn't need tutoring.

She understood the material just fine. She just chose not to do it.

"I don't like school," was Whitney's explanation.

After parking her car, Mariah crossed the street to the finely manicured two-story house. Whitney answered the door, and they went up to her room as usual.

"Alright, what are we working on today?" Mariah asked, sitting down on the bed, making herself comfortable.

Whitney smiled and picked up a purple folder on her desk and retrieved a paper. She handed the white sheet to a curious Mariah, who gently took it and looked it over.

"You got an A," Mariah called. "We love to see it. Congratulations."

Whitney smiled and sat beside her, their arms touching. Mariah smiled back at the fresh-faced girl and then leaned her own head back against the baby blue wall.

"Sorry, I'm just tired," Mariah admitted.

"I guess I can let you nap, but not too long."

"No, no, nobody's napping," Mariah replied, laughing some, and raising her hands reassuringly. "We have work to do."

"But you're tired...and I can tell."

"Gee, thanks. I guess I look like shit."

"Nooo. Mariah, please, you could never."

"Hey, it's alright. I don't get much sleep and I don't really wear makeup, so..."

"You don't need makeup. But you do need sleep."

Mariah smiled lazily. "I know, I know, and I'll sleep at home when I'm off the clock."

"Don't worry, I won't tell." Whitney's eyes danced with mischief. "And anyway, I want you rested before we go."

"Go? Where are we going?" Now Mariah was officially wide-awake.

Whitney smirked. "Nowhere you need to be worried about."

"But Whitney, I'm working. I'm supposed to be tutoring you right now."

"Tutoring me things I already know? Come on, 'Riah, don't you think it's time we stop playing around?"

"Well, I mean, I keep waiting for you to tell me you don't get something or need clarity or whatever, but you're all good. You don't need me. I don't even know why I still come here. The school is wasting it's money."

"Are you worried about the school's pockets or your pockets?"

Mariah averted her eyes to the side. "Mine... but still, I could be tutoring somebody who actually needs it. You don't, you just need to do the work. I mean, yeah, I know school's annoying, but is it really worth failing when you understand everything? All you literally have to do is do the work and that's it...I would think it'd be easy."

Whitney studied her.

"I don't mean to come off blunt or like I hate coming here because I don't," said Mariah. "I actually don't mind it. I just think the whole thing is kinda pointless. You could be doing other things instead of us sitting here, going over things you already know. Why would you do that to yourself?"

After a beat, Whitney said, "You've been wanting to get that off your chest, huh?"

Mariah blushed. "I didn't mean to ramble, I just...yes, it's been on my mind."

"No worries, I hear you."

"Okay," Mariah whispered.

Whitney gave her a look, making her laugh, and then she laughed too.

"Okay," she copied her, whispering.

"Hush," Mariah playfully pushed her leg.

"So if I end the tutoring, will you still come over?" Whitney asked.

Mariah made a face like it was an odd question. "Yeah, just invite me."

Whitney smiled. "For real?"

"Yeah..." Mariah looked at her a bit weirdly and ran her fingers through her own hair. Then she froze. "Wait, is that why you keep having me come here?"

"Ding-ding, we have a winner."

Mariah gasped.

"You know, for a tutor, you can be slow..." Whitney replied. She laughed when Mariah gave her a pinch. "Are you really going to sit here and act like you didn't know what was up?"

Mariah didn't respond just yet.

"What's up exactly?" she asked. "I'm not a mind reader."

"I obviously wanted you around."

Mariah blushed again, but then reminded herself that Whitney didn't have to mean it that. For all she knew she could've just been lonely and/or interested in making friends. She was new after all.

"Aw, Whitney, if you wanted us to hangout, that's all you had to say, babe. I would've loved to. And still would." She smiled.

"Was this all business for you? Be honest."

"I mean, it was business and pleasure. I liked coming around."

Whitney kept a straight face. "So you'll go out with me today then?"

"Yes. But just one thing..."

"Hit me."

"Is a nap still an option? Even though I'm not super sleepy right now, I don't wanna crash later when we're out."

Whitney chuckled softly. "I know what you mean. Yes, you can still get your beauty rest. We have time."

"Thanks. And what are you going to do?"

Whitney shrugged. "Probably listen to music or go for a walk."

"And leave me here?"

Whitney laughed. "What am I supposed to do, Mariah? Watch you sleep?"

"Or you can sleep with me." Then she laughed. "God, I sound like a perv."

"We're not there yet," Whitney replied. "But in due time." She smirked.

They got settled under the sheets and once Mariah's head hit the pillow she was out like a light. Whitney smiled and snuggled close, soon closing her own eyes.