Changes Part 2

"Ah, there she is," Gloria Matthews announces at the arrival of her friend Bernadine. She laughs merrily as Bernadine poses at the threshold. "Wait 'til I fix that head." Gloria's eyes land on her staff. "Then she'll really be working it."

Bernadine laughs at herself and gives Gloria or "Glo" a hug before sitting down in her salon chair.

"So what are we doing today?" Gloria questions after securing the black styling cape on her friend and client.

"We are chopping it."

A second or two passes. Bernadine looks at Gloria through the mirror.

"I'm sorry, we're what?" Gloria responds, earning a soft chuckle. "I know you didn't say what I think you did."

"You heard me just fine. See this right here? It's going, bye-bye," Bernadine confirms, pointing to the black hair that drapes down her back. 

One would think Gloria just saw a ghost. "I think not."

"Glo!" Bernadine makes a face and laughs. "Stop it, I'm serious. Do your job."

"You must be crazy if you think I'm cutting all of this here."

"Should I find another salon?"

Tension builds. Gloria groans and harshly retrieves a pair of scissors. "I don't think you thought this through. You're not thinking straight, you're moving purely off emotion. I know divorce is hard, but it doesn't have to come down to this..." Gloria rants.

Bernadine laughs in exasperation. "Gloria! I'm cutting my hair, not getting implants. It's gonna look good. Even Vannah says so."

Gloria sighs heavily and Bernadine happily show her a photo of a model with a pixie haircut. "Savannah loves everything you do, and there's no shame in getting implants."

"Okay, and what about the style?"

"Let us pray."

Bernadine gives her a side-eye. Alas, the haircut commences. Two hours later, Bernadine receives compliments from just about everyone in the salon. She aims a smug look at Gloria, who rolls her eyes.

"I don't love it, but it's not bad," the hair stylist says.

"Well, I do. Thank you." Bernadine pays her with cash along with a tip.

"Thank you, Bernie, I'll see you later," Gloria calls as her friend readies to depart.

Bernadine nods and bids a farewell to everyone before leaving. The later Gloria is referring to is her friends-only housewarming. She gets in her car and debates FaceTiming Vannah to show her new 'do now or later. Deciding she'll handle her errands first she starts her car and pulls off.

A couple of people try to hit on her when she's out and about, but she pays it little mind, although it's flattering. Unless your name is Savannah Jackson, she's not interested.

It's when Bernadine finishes loading her car with groceries and other items that she receives a FaceTime from the object of her affection.

The producer squeals, "Vannah, you did it!"

Bernadine laughs and grazes her nape. "I said I would..."

"I love it, it's beautiful. You're beautiful."

Bernadine allows the compliment to warm her. "Thank you, baby. As we predicted, Gloria overreacted."

"Tuh, I know she did. But she did a marvelous job."

"Why do we make such a big deal out of length? You would think I asked her for a tattoo on my forehead with how she was acting. And she's not the only one, a lot of people have that very reaction when a woman or girl wants to cut her hair. We have to do better."