29: Saint James 2

SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT...
____________________________________

I watch the woods at the fireplace burn. I listen to the creaking of the wood, watching as the fire first lick off the hard bark before enveloping the whole wood.

I could feel the warmth the fireplace emits. Maria smuggled closer to me. I didn't let her know that all I had left was a glimmer of hope.

The door knob turned and then jerk open. Stephanie gaze first landed on me. Her laughter started as small Snickers till they filled the room.

"You are such a senseless meddling friend Lady bell" she sneered

"Just leave" Maria calmly said.

She's still had the hope and it burns deeply in her.

I pray the fire doesn't burn off eventually.

"Oh sister why the face, it's not my fault our parents choose to dote on me"

It was clear that she was here to brag. Her extremely stupid behavior reeks the air.

"Run along Stephanie you wouldn't want to miss the ball" Maria counter her. Stephanie was shaken by Maria enthusiasm. She staggered a bit, her breath coming out heavily.

"You are right I wouldn't want that" she smirk as it there were more to the statement. Immediately she left, Maria turned away from me.

"What are you not telling me" I move toward her. Even though she try had to hold the tears in one manage to escape.

Agatha merely watch the exchange between us.

"Are you worried that Sir James would choose her" I whisper

The silence gave the answer away.

"He lied to Gavin because of you Maria, why did you think that--"

"He came out of pity" she cut me off

"Erm you remembered the day I got called in by The Queen" I say

Maria nodded.

"Well Sir James told me about that day at the bonfire--" Immediately Maria froze. I could tell she really what to know what he said and her nervousness was getting the best of her. Although I promise to keep my mouth shut but at this point I think telling her was the best for her.

So I spilled everything watching Maria's reaction at each face of specific word. Agatha heard all and was utterly confused.

"H-e-- He should have defended my honour" Maria whisper. She kept blinking back the tears.

One manage to slip out.

"I love him all my life, hoping that one day he would -- you know maybe see" she hiccup

I know I owe this Lady. Her love and kindness to be all this while was what had kept me going. As a friend I'm expected to do the same. I ignited my hope and swifty I'm off the bed.

I look around the room --- I sat back feeling defeated.

There's nothing I could really do at this point.

Saint James view

Sleep was the last thing on my occupied mind. My thoughts were clashing together and guilt was eating me raw and whole.

I glance at Gavin who was staring out the window for the tenth time. His brows had been furrowed since he returned from the Seamstress workshop. His look kept fuelling my guilt.

I know he had her on his mind --well the African girl had been on his mind the day she stumble on our ship.

Gavin moved to seat on a chair, his brows were still furrowed. I know he was thinking about tonight. The night was near: I continue to roll the note in my hand.