33: The Banishment

Maria's words stick to my mind. Well not every thing are smooth sailing but, Things so little that could be avoided do get me stuck in the stormy clouds. I never would have thought the breakfast I had attended meanlessly could mean so much in the court but then I had two of my Ladies with me--- Two for God sake and yet I walk elegantly into the mistake.

True to Maria words, they should know the rules about all this. Fair enough I've been here for some months but I'm still learning. Infact learning to live in Britain is a gradual process.

Mimi soon returns with the clothes. We spent the next hours cleaning up and preparing ourselves in-between making small jokes with an extremely excited Mimi.

Who would have thought Maria still held on to her vigorous thoughts that she latch on Dorothy immediately she came into our room.

"snitch are not hard to find" Maria counters. Dorothy froze from some second. Probably because of shock but whatever it must have been made her angry. She March toward Maria and delivered a slap.

"How dare you" She shouted

Maria held her check, Clearly offended that Dorothy hit her. "Oh you dare" Just as Maria was about to hit her back I got in between them halting Maria. Obviously pained that she couldn't hit her back, she sneered.

"Why do you always doubt me" Dorothy asked

"I know we started on a rocky part but if anything I'm not a snitch"

Maria chuckled "oh thou might snitch less fellow, ain't you a student of etiquette, supposed top of the class. The know it all Dorothy. Tell me, don't you know what the breakfast mean, is not like you see any Debutante being casually invited to eat with the Queen"

"You are talking like this because you are pained"

Maria gave a nervous laugh.

"Yes, Don't tell me you ain't ashamed of what the king said in the hall"

"Don't change the topic" Maria clenched her jaw

"You are selfish. I know you are just close to Bell because you know if eventually she gets his highness there would be something in it for you"

This time I don't stop Maria from slapping Dorothy.

"Keep your false assumption to yourself, how could you---"

I had enough so I cut in. "Stop this!"

I faced Dorothy "I'm not taking sides but Maria can use me any how she likes. I owe it all to her, trust me you have no idea"

"You just took her side" Dorothy grunted

I rubbed my temple and took a deep breath. "At some point, I started doubting everybody after the accident but I couldn't bring myself to really doubt Maria. At some point I had to put our friendship aside and welcome the doubt. But she had proven herself. She might not know but she as. I need you to prove yourself Dorothy, please. You are also my friend but please"

Dorothy sat on the bed. "I know one of the reasons you both think of me this way is because I told Lady Carrie about your presentation and coincidentally Lady Mabel   use the same presentation" she held up her hand to stop us from saying anything.

"I---I really mean no harm but come on, nobody blames Agatha. For christ sake, you'll seems to turn a blind eye towards her"

"Umm--- I guess you have a point" I say

"You were there bell--- she was so keen about you quiting the season and then I debated against her and suddenly she's says the Queen demanded your presence. She said nothing about it until I told her you won't leave the season. She made it look like because you caught the prince eyes then the Queen wants to have breakfast with you.