36: Meant to be

Since Maria was still asleep I had to face her alone.

It was useless leaving the palace now. The king was already involved in the issue because it was considered a huge crime for breaking into the palace and oh boy it cause a great deal of problem.

The king saw me, I guess he doesn't have time for me yet but I knew I'm going to hear it hard from him.

Agatha and Dorothy had to stay with Maria Back at the Manor so Mimi was my chaperone. The Queen on the other hand seem to have time for me.

"It good to see my daughter in-law can fight for herself" she said to me before joining her husband.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I didn't see Lady Betty immediately. I have a lot to ask her. Who would have thought I was really close to the culprit. London had made me realize that I have a lot of people in my life and so I doubt everyone.

Lady Carrie even My step mother and Sister for God sake. In reality this people don't have time for me and never regarded me... they just let me be and the Enemy was my friend.

It took a lot of convincing from me before Gavin allowed me to see Lady Betty in the dungeon alone. Even so he still stood some feet away from me.

Lady Betty calmly met my gaze.

"Lady Bell" she says

She was still in her ball gown.

"You committed treason"

"I know it would lead to this but I had no choice" she said

"You ain't sorry" I asked

She signed heavily. "Believe me if you want but I never planned this infact I was glad I made friends with you because you agree with everything I believed in. When Eric came to me I just couldn't--- I pleaded with him but he was hell-bent in his plan ---"

"The point is that you still helped him" I cut in

"He promised he wouldn't do anything rash --- I know it was foolish of me to believe him but I owe him a lot, he often talk about it and I felt it was high time I got this debt off me...I... I was desperate"

"We almost died"

"I was terrified when I heard of the accident Lady Bell. He told me it wasn't him turns out to be a lie. I'm sorry"

"You know I can't help you" I said

"I know, please tell Maria I'm sorry. I don't know what happened but I know what I did caused everything"

"I'm sorry too" I said

I wanted to ask her if she knew how they did it. Pretending to be Agatha at the dress room but I saw that she was indeed clueless.

I stagger away from her. I knew she would be punished for the little part she played and I was scared for her.

"She's still guilty" Gavin seem to read me

"But---"

"A pickpocket and an armed robber are the same in this kingdom" he emphasize

"What's next" I ask

"Now you put your ring on"

******

"So I'm alive" Maria yawned and slowly sat up

Agatha and Dorothy rushed towards her. "How was your beauty sleep" I ask.

"Surprisingly I dreamt of nothing"

"Let me bring some food" Agatha said and left the room. Maria eye tailed after her. Well I still had a lot of explanation to do.

"I see no bandages and blood" Maria muttered