17: Strident

I gallantly return to where I left Agatha and Dorothy. Maria scurries beside me.

The stares were intense but I focus on not making eye contact.

Bodies in Layers and Layers of fabric and hairs tucked and twisted in pin sway around the dance floor.

Prince Gavin is now dancing with another debutants.

But it doesn't bothers me.

I got his first dance.

Lady Mabel glare was still on me. Today she's chaperoned by a older woman. She looks different.

This woman frozen blue eyes were Sharp and her hair were hidden in a bonnet.

She looked like a Queen highly worthy of the position.

I try to get a closer look at the older woman who had now turn to Lady Mabel. Then their lips were moving, eyebrows arched, hands movement and perhaps a throaty chuckle.

Suddenly those frozen eyes were on me.

Almost immediately my peripheral vision was blocked.

"Lord Eric" I gasped.

He seems to mistake the surprised and flush look for something else so he chuckled.

I slowly peek behind him but both Lady Mabel and Her Lady were gone.

"Please to see me Lady Bella" He quotes in a husky voice.

I feel anxious. Only Maria call me Bella.

"Just Bell my Lord" I deadpanned

His use of the name make me insecure.

Dorothy clears her throat.

Yeah I know that was a wrong thing to do madam.

"Just Bell" he says in an amuse tone

"The flowers.... they are lovely"

He says nothing. He lifted his hand.

"May I" he whispered

I took his hand and he lead me to the dance floor.

Dorothy was smiling. What can I say....To others she looks like a good chaperon. Her lady had just danced with the prince and now she's in the hands on the Earl of pembroke.

"I fear for myself Lady Bella" He said

I try my best not to roll my eyes at him.

"And why is that" I commented ignoring the urge to deadpan at him again.

"You seem really familiar with his Highness"

"How so" I asked

"Really, from what is passing around that would be your second dance with him" He twirl me around.

"Oh"

He smiles "Oh....that's your reply..."

The dance ended he lead me back but he doesn't leave.

"Look over there Bella" he nudge his head towards another side of the Ballroom where some debutants are gathered.

"Gossiping about me I guess"

Lord Eric smiles. His teeth were even and his eyes held a shade of Golden brown. He wasn't particularly handsome but at the same time he had a face that could cause a lady to drool.

He was what a Lady could call acceptable.

"No...They are gossiping about me, They hope I show interest in you before his.... you know he does"