14 || aria: billionaire, socialite... surgeon?

Makes me feel like I can't live without youAnd it takes me all the wayI want you to stay-Stay, Rihanna

And it takes me all the way
I want you to stay
-Stay, Rihanna

Makes me feel like I can't live without youAnd it takes me all the wayI want you to stay-Stay, Rihanna

July 18th 2008
Stark Mansion, Malibu

The next morning, I head downstairs to find Pepper watching TV. It's one of those stupid, heavily opinionated news shows. A guy yells about Dad's announcement from yesterday at the top of his lungs. I rub my eyes and groan; why's he yelling, it's... one in the afternoon... I need to start waking up earlier.

"Stark Industries! I've got one recommendation! Ready? Ready? Sell, sell, sell! Abandon ship! Does the Hindenburg ring any bells? Let me show you the new Stark Industries business plan!", the guy on TV smashes a mug with a baseball bat, "Look, that's a weapons company that doesn't make weapons!", the man yells. "Oh- Oh- And here's Aurelia Stark yesterday!", a picture of me gawping comes onto the screen and I roll my eyes at it, making my way to the kitchen.

Dad buzzes Pepper over the intercom, "Pepper. How big are your hands?"

"What?", Pepper asks, confused.

"How big are your hands?", he repeats his question.

"What the...", I start, stopping in the kitchen doorway, intrigued.

"I don't understand why..."

He cuts her off, "Get down here. I need you.", we exchange a look, then head down to his workshop to find him lying shirtless on a chair, "Hey. Let's see them. Show me your hands. Let's see them.", Pepper hesitantly holds up her hands as she comes closer, "Oh, wow. They are small. Very petite, indeed. I just uh.. need your help for a sec."

"Oh my god, you've gone insane.", I mutter.

"You say that like it's a new development.", he smirks.

Pepper gasps, looking at the arc reactor, "Oh, my God, is that the thing that's keeping you alive?"

He answers nonchalantly, "It was. It is now an antique. This is what will be keeping me alive for the foreseeable future.", he holds up a different arc reactor, "I'm swapping it up for an upgraded unit, and I just ran into a little speed bump."