39 || cap'n

And I can't find the patienceFor all the conversationsAnd all of these blank facesI should leave, I haven't yetBut when you smile, I just forgetBut I can stay a while, I guess-Down For You, Cosmo's Midnight

For all the conversations
And all of these blank faces
I should leave, I haven't yet
But when you smile, I just forget
But I can stay a while, I guess
-Down For You, Cosmo's Midnight

And I can't find the patienceFor all the conversationsAnd all of these blank facesI should leave, I haven't yetBut when you smile, I just forgetBut I can stay a while, I guess-Down For You, Cosmo's Midnight

June 10th, 2010
Manhattan, New York

Steve sits on the edge of his bed, staring at the laminate floor. He does that a lot.

Head cocked to the side as I watch him, I hover in the doorway. I know he heard me enter but he doesn't move to acknowledge me- he never does. Ever since he woke up, he's been a ghost of the man I thought I knew after many history lessons.

He barely eats, barely drinks, barely talks; he simply sits and thinks; people above me have Steve staying at S.H.I.E.L.D. until he's ready to be released into his own apartment. It's been more than a week since he woke up and I'm not sure he's made any progress. Then again, I'm not exactly sure what progress looks like. Surely, they can't expect him to laugh at my jokes or chat away easily. He's woken up in an entirely new world, with no semblance of the life he knew save my relation to an old friend of his. Even that must be offputting. The granddaughter of a 20-year-old playboy.

I take a couple of steps into the room, "How are you feeling?"

He glances up, his turquoise eyes meeting my dark orbs; he hesitates in responding before letting out a simple, "Fine."

I don't pry. I'm not sure why he tells me he's fine every day. Maybe he's uncomfortable opening up to me or maybe he thinks I just don't want to here. I know he's not fine.

"Can I get you anything?"

"I'd like to leave."

He doesn't hesitate with that response.

"Steve, that's above my authority."

"So talk to the people in charge."

"I don't know if you're ready."

"I am."

"Steve," I quickly and firmly interject, "the world outside this room is nothing like what you know."