29 || the importance of family

It took a little timeTo make a little betterIt's only going outJust one thing then another you know, you know-Something Good Can Work, Two Door Cinema Club

To make a little better
It's only going out
Just one thing then another you know, you know
-Something Good Can Work, Two Door Cinema Club

It took a little timeTo make a little betterIt's only going outJust one thing then another you know, you know-Something Good Can Work, Two Door Cinema Club

August 24th 2010
S.H.I.E.L.D Building, Malibu

"Morning guys!", I grin, sauntering into me, Nat, and Clint's shared office. The two of them are packing up bags and look like they're getting ready to leave, "Oh, are you guys going somewhere?"

"We've both been put on missions. I'm going out of state.", Clint tells me.

 "Seriously?", I raise an eyebrow.

"You don't work on Sundays, what are you doing here?", Nat asks.

"What a warm welcome.", I say sarcastically.

The door swings open and Phil leans in, "Romanoff, we've got to go."

She nods and picks up a black file; I notice her attire- a very tight blouse and black pants- not what she usually wears, or would ever wear.

"You going undercover?", I ask.

"Yeah.", she nods, "I'm only in Malibu though so you won't be alone."

"Who you going undercover for?"

"Classified.", she taps the side of her nose and smirks.

"And the tight top?", I raise an eyebrow, "Feeling a bit promiscuous, are we?"

"Please,", she scoffs, "you wear tighter clothes than this every weekend. Or from what I see in the gossip columns you do."

"Natasha!", I gasp, before grinning at her, "Well, have a good time.", I say.

"Will do.", she waves, then walks out.

"What about you, Clint? Where are you going?", I ask, flopping down at my desk.

"Home.", he says.

"Oh, where's home?"

He mocks Natasha, "Classified.", we both laugh, "All the way back in Missouri."

"Missouri? Must be a long drive to work."

"Well, I normally work in NY or D.C, I just come and go every couple of weeks. Not like I have anyone at home missing me too much."

"I guess.", I scan the mountains of paperwork on my desk, "I should probably get started with this."

You heard it here first, folks. Spy-work isn't entirely fun. There's a lot of paperwork involved.

So, Clint and I both work through the mountains of paperwork, chatting away about nothing important. Somehow, we get onto the topic of family again, even though Clint claims not to have any.

"So, how are things with you and your dad at the moment? I saw you two on the news yesterday, you didn't look... very happy to be there.", he says.

"Don't even get me started. He's been acting so weird lately, I don't know what's up. Don't get me wrong, he's always a bit of an annoying prick, but he's been especially annoying lately. Oh, and he's constantly on my back about me not going to college. What am I supposed to say, 'I don't have time for college, I'm too busy being a secret agent'?", I rant.

"Yeah, maybe.", Clint shrugs.

"I mean, I get where he's coming from, you know. I come from a line of geniuses, who've amassed a fortune using their wit, intellect, and charm. But I'm just a girl, well woman, whose sarcasm is barely even funny at this point, just rude. Then again, he's just a rude man-child, who also happens to be a genius. Damn it, why didn't I get the genius gene?", I ramble to myself.

"I mean you are extremely smart.", he says.

"Yeah, obviously.", I shrug, "But I'm not Stark smart."

"What?", he looks at me, confused.

"Ugh, I don't know what to do.", I groan.

"Be honest with him. He's probably just acting up because you aren't around anymore. How old was he when you were born?"

"Twenty."

"He's not used to not having you around constantly. You've been with him for basically all of his adult life.", he explains.

"Ha! I knew it!", I exclaim, skillfully changing the topic.

"What?"

"You have kids.", I grin.

"What? I- No I don't.", he insists.

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

He walks over to the window that looks from the main office into ours and closes the blinds, "Did Natasha tell you?", he asks once nobody can see in.

"No, I figured it out all on my own. Part-time spy, part-time detective.", I smirk.

"How'd you know?"

"Well, why would you live in Missouri but have been working in Malibu for at least the last two years? Also, you disappear for two weeks to a month every two weeks to a month. I've always thought you'd make a good dad, and that advice you gave me was very Dad-ly advice.", I explain. When I see the panicked look on his face, I try to reassure him, "Don't worry, I won't tell anybody. Secret's safe with me."

He nods and we both sit in silence for a minute, until Clint breaks it, "Lila and Cooper."

"Huh?"

"Their names, Lila and Cooper.", he tells me.

"Oh,", I smile, "I like those names."

"Yeah, you should meet them sometime."

A message from the author:Late again<3 Tbf, Wattpad was glitching yesterday and didn't wanna open! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

Late again<3 Tbf, Wattpad was glitching yesterday and didn't wanna open! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 910

Date published: May 12th, 2022