36 || another weapons demo gone wrong

Saturday night's alright for fightingGet a little action inGet about as oiled as a diesel trainGonna set this dance alight'Cause Saturday night's the night I likeSaturday night's alright alright alright-Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting), Elt...

Get a little action in
Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this dance alight
'Cause Saturday night's the night I like
Saturday night's alright alright alright
-Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting), Elton John

Saturday night's alright for fightingGet a little action inGet about as oiled as a diesel trainGonna set this dance alight'Cause Saturday night's the night I likeSaturday night's alright alright alright-Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting), Elt...

May 31st 2010
Flushing, New York City

The three of us walk into the Expo- dream team.

We take our seats mid-way back in the audience, still not far enough away from Hammer for my likings, but whatever. Nat and Pepper sit on either side of me and we all watch as the lights dim, ready for the show to begin.

Hammer dances his way onto the stage with scattered applause all around, "Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!", he smirks, "Thanks for coming. Ladies and gentleman, for far too long, this country has had to place it's brave men and women in harm's way, but then the Iron Man arrived and we thought the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right. And it's just too bad."

Bit rude of him to insult Dad at his own damn expo.

"Oh, lord.", Pepper sighs.

"Don't worry,", I whisper, "it's Hammer tech. Whatever it is, it won't work."

"Regardless, it was an impressive innovation,", Hammer continues, "one that grabbed headlines the world over. Well, today, my friends, the press is faced with quite a different problem. They are about to run out of ink.", he smirks as a few people hesitantly applaud and two workers run on to take away his podium, "Get that out of here.", he murmurs, "Ladies and gentlemen, today I present to you, the new face of the United States military. The Hammer drone!"

Suddenly, very patriotic music starts to play, "I thought Captain America was dead.", I mumble to Nat and Pepper.

"Army!", Hammer yells, as drones begin to rise from the stage, "Navy! Air force! Marines! Yeah! Yeah! Woo!", he cheers, as the crowd clap, "That's a hell of a lot better than some cheerleaders, let me tell you.". Agreed. "But as revolutionary as this technology is, there will always be a need for man to be present in the theatre of war. Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to present to you the very first prototype in the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit and its pilot, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes.", the War Machine suit, except with more guns, rises out of the stage.