1 || the beginning of the end

Back in black, I hit the sackI've been too long I'm glad to be backYes I'm let loose from the nooseThat's kept me hanging about-Back In Black, AC/DC

I've been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes I'm let loose from the noose
That's kept me hanging about
-Back In Black, AC/DC

March 21st 2008

My foot taps to the rhythm, as AC/DC blasts out of the stereo

My foot taps to the rhythm, as AC/DC blasts out of the stereo. I'm squished in the middle seat, between Dad and a random soldier. He keeps glancing at me nervously, and not going to lie, he is quite good-looking. Back at home, I wouldn't go for him, but this is the Afghan desert, my options are limited, might as well go along with it for a bit.

I meet his gaze and we smile at one another; Dad must have noticed though because he 'accidentally' slips and spills scotch on my rose-pink dress. After Dad glares at the soldier, the poor guy spends the next five minutes avoiding eye contact. The ice in Dad's scotch bounces against the edge of his glass as we rumble over the bumpy dirt road.

Soon, my father and his goldfish-like attention span get bored, so he interrupts the silence that's overtaken the vehicle, "I feel like you're driving me to a court-martial. This is crazy. What did I do? I feel like you're going to pull over and snuff me.", still nobody replies, "What, you're not allowed to talk? Hey, Forrest!"

"We can talk, sir.", the soldier next to me says.

"Oh, I see. So it's personal?"

"No, you intimidate them.", the soldier, who's driving, tells us, and she's a woman- go her I guess.

"Good god, you're a woman. I honestly... I couldn't have called that.", he says, "I mean, I'd apologize, but isn't that what we're going for here? I thought of you as a soldier first."

"Dad, you're just digging yourself a hole.", I hiss.

"I'm an airman.", she says,

"Well you have, actually, excellent bone structure, there. I'm kind of having a hard time not looking at you now. Is that weird?", all the soldiers chuckle at his awful joke, so I just scowl, "Come on, it's okay, laugh."